Hepatitis Expert Forum
Hepatitis C and Thrush?

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Hepatitis C and Thrush?

Posted by Kendall on August 05, 1999 at 11:54:13
I have written you before and asked you questions.. But I find myself in a curious position these days with Thrush?  Can Hepatitis C lower your immune system?  They have tried three different drugs, swish and swallow, Myclex, and now Dilfulic.  I am on it again for three weeks this time.  Everytime I get off the meds it comes back?  They did an endoscopy and it hasn't done damage to my throat and I don't have varices yet. I have to be rechecked in six months as the Gastro is sure they will show eventually. I am confused and my doctors are at a loss.  If you have any ideas I would surely appreciate your input.  I am also having a Cat Scan done on the 11th in hopes of finding something to tell what is going on.  And yes, I have tested negative for AIDs..
Thanks,
Kendall

Posted by Laurie on August 05, 1999 at 15:34:26
Are you currently on the combo treatment?  I have had thrush for the past few weeks due to suppressed immune from the drugs.  Also taking Mycelex.  

Posted by Kendall on August 05, 1999 at 23:21:29
No not on any treatment too late for that have decompensated liver symptoms...

Posted by Jayne on August 07, 1999 at 23:22:31
                                                            8/7/99
RE: Hepatitus (hepatitis) C and Thrush,
I was on the combo treatment for the whole year and am now 2 months post treatment so don't know what's up yet. Anyway, I developed thrush last week too and only know at this time that it's due to a compromised immune system. Anyone have any more info? A mixture of Maalox and prescription viscous Lidocaine to swish with relieves the pain.               Jayne

Posted by HFHSM.D.-D.M. on August 08, 1999 at 20:14:33
Dear Kendall:
I am sorry to hear about your situation.  I can appreciate how frustrated your are by your problem.  Thrush or oral candidiasis is typically caused by lowering of the immune system.  In some cases, it can be associated with antibiotic use.  
If you do have advanced liver disease or