Hepatitis Expert Forum
Interpretation of quantitative pcr results

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

I just picked up my quantitative pcr results for HCV from the health center but cannot interpret the results. They could not either.My doctor is out of town for a week. The results say <2000-Normal.What does this mean?

_
Dear Glen:
I appreciate your fairly straight-forward question.  Depending upon the specific laboratory and the specific test, quantitative HCV RNA have a lower limit below which they cannot detect HCV RNA.  Some labs have a lower limit of 500 copies/ml and others such as yours have a lower limit of 2000 copies/ml.  I know some labs are working on assays with detection down to 50 copies/ml.  We know the lower limits of detection because we test the PCR assays with blood containing known quantities of HCV RNA.  
As a result, when a PCR test is negative, we aren
A related discussion, HIV and HIV P24 was started.