Hepatitis Expert Forum
Knodell Scoring

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Knodell Scoring

I recently received my biopsy results with a Knodell score of 8.  4 of this was for cirrhosis, 3 from portal inflammation, and 1 from bridging necrosis.  Several questions.
  1. Does a score of 8 indicate an approach to end stage disease with the next phase probably decomensation?
  2. Does the fact that there is a 4 on cirrhosis and 1 on necrosis mean anything?
  3.  Is this scoring system used as a means to start evaluating for future transplant or is transplant based solely on decompensation status?

_
Dear Don:
I certainly regret the delay in answering your question.  To a degree, you are right.  Your questions are somewhat confusing to me and difficult to answer.  Periodically, people actually put there actual biopsy reports in their MedHelp questions and that is actually easier for me.  I will try to make a couple of comments that may or may not be helpful.
The Knodell score is used to grade the extent of