Hepatitis Expert Forum
My new boyfriend has Hep C

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

My new boyfriend has Hep C

I have recently been dating  a guy that has been diagnosed with Hep C for 5 1/2 years.  He has told me that we must use latex condoms during sexual intercourse and the only way of him transmitting the disease is through blood contact.  Which I understand no sharing of razors, toothbrushes and no open cuts around him.  But my main question that I really don't understand and need answered is; can Hep C be transmitted through oral sex?  I have read articles about saliva in Hep C patients having very little traces of the disease, but I am not sure if giving or receiving oral sex is a transmitted area.  I have already been tested and I am negative, which working in a hospital enviroment I have to take precautions when I am around Hep A, B, or C patients.  Any information you can provide me would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tags: boyfriend, sex, Oral
HCV does not seem to transmitted by heterosexual vaginal intercourse or by oral sex. In men who have sex with men it is transmitted by anal intercourse. Your boyfriend is correct it has to be blood to blood transmission. If you are around hepatitis A and B patients you should be vaccinated for those as should your boyfriend. Have fun! DTD
Is it true that some means of transmissions are unknown? Is it true that people who merely live inthe house with people with hep c are more likele to get inthan the general population? Why is in illegal for people with hep C to work in restaurants? Why is it the fastest growing epidemic in the US. I am hep C phobic and I know it. My best friend has it and I yearn to be around her.. to socialize and stay overnight in her house. I get anxiety reactions.. almost panic..  when I am around her. I desperately need the latest accurate info. regarding transmission methods. She is not careful and  leaves dirty tissues and her house is not very clean. Her pets want to kiss me.. I am even scared for her pets to be around my pets.  She was jaundiced at one time. but was able to finish most of her treatment. She always has rashes and sores and so I type to her and talk with her.. but  . I have poor insurance and would not be able to be treated if I get Hep C. I already have breast cancer.. in remission. I feel very guilty about my decision to limit my contact  but considering the  anxiety I feel.. I do not know what else to do..  I am not so anxious around HIV patients.. When I work,, in the hospital setting with psychotic, physically ill patients.. I am very careful.. using all the precautions. One other question, will health departments check people for "Hep ABC?  I am vaccinated for B. When I start a new relationship..  I require tests for STD and HIV  Sometimes MD s seem reluctatant to check for Hep C when no symptoms are present.. Am I too cautious? Please help.
You are way too cautious and anxious about this. You need to get some counseling about these obsessive ideas. It is good to be careful, but you are carrying it to an extreme and it is interfering with your life. Get help!  DTD
dr. d, you said before hep c is NOT transmitted sexually and now youre saying "does not seem to be", is there conflict?
In the one very large 900 patient study from Italy over 10 years there was NO hetersexual transmission. There are no absolutes in the world of medicine. However in men-who-have-sex with men (MSM) HCV is clearly a sexually transmitted disease usually through anal sex. Heterosexuals sometimes have anal sex and heterosexual transmission through anal sex would not surprise me. In fact, nothing surprises me anymore! DTD
A related discussion, Help was started.