Hepatitis Expert Forum
Need some explaination of biopsy terms

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Need some explaination of biopsy terms

Posted by Janet on July 23, 1999 at 10:33:24
Could you please explain a couple of terms on my last liver biopsy?  I'll include most of it in case the context is needed.  The term I need explained is 'intra-acinar degeneration' .
Sections of the needle biopsy of the liver reveals diffuse chronic hepatitis which includes extensive interface hepatitis (piecemeal necrosis).  In addition, there is portal inflammation and intra-acinar degeneration of parenchymal cells.  There is periportal and bridging fibrosis.
Thank you

Posted by Bobby on July 23, 1999 at 13:44:46
I tested + for hepC and hiv in april of this year. July 19 i had a liver biopsy done and got the results today. I'm wondering what these results mean? This is what the report says:
Diagnosis----Chronic Portal Hepatitis
            -Chronic Lobular Hepatitis
            -Steatosis
            -Bridging Fibrosis
Microscopic Description and Comment: Sections of the liver show chronic portal hepatitis consisting mainly of lymphocytes and plasma cells. Piecemeal necrosis is evident. There is associated chronic lobular hepatitis with mild steatosis. Trichrome and reticulin stains show increased portal fibrosis with early bridging fibrosis.
I'm wondering just how bad my liver is. As far as the hiv goes, i am not on any meds because my viral load and cd4 tests are good for me right now. My dr said yesterday he wants to start me on interferon combo for the hepC right away. I'm also on serzone (anti-depressant) and wondering if my dosage should be increased when i start the hepC treatment (450 mg a day total). Can i wait for hepC treatment until the pegylated interferon is approved? thanks for any help/information, bobby

Posted by bobby on July 23, 1999 at 13:51:05
Just to add, i live in a rural missouri community. I see my hiv/hepC dr in st.louis (Barnes/Jewish Hospital-Washingto University School of Medicine) which is over 2 hours away. He faxed the test results to me today and i won't see him until Aug.13. thanks, bobby

Posted by HFHSM.D.-D.M. on July 25, 1999 at 17:12:27
Dear Janet and Bobby:
I appreciate your questions.  Interpretations of liver biopsy