Hepatitis Expert Forum
Questions about Hepatitis

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Questions about Hepatitis

Hello dear doctor.i have some questions regarding the hepatitis  B.C  and i'm sure you are going to answer them with pure honestly as u always do in your job

1.firstly i apologize for my bad english ,About 4 years ago i was involved in a series of unprotected intercourses with a woman which included the anal penetration as well as vaginal,oral.. i got tested several times for HIV with a negative result. now i moved on from worrying about HIV but i never thought there are other deadly STD such hepatitis B C and unfortunately i haven't taken the vaccine yet.now my question is how much possible it is that i have any kind of hepatitis from the sexual encounter i mentioned.i never experienced any kind of pain or other symptoms other than times that i got cold during some seasons.now do you think might be at risk of having the disease and not knowing about it?  do you think it is important to perform test for hepatitis after almost 5 years?

2.about 5 or 7 times when i went to the barbershop my comb was accidentally missing from the rest of my tools so the barber had no choice but to use his public comb to get the job done i asked if he washed them using alcohol and he said yes.(but who knows if he wasn't just lying).at how much risk have i put myself into doctor?

3.everytime i got flu in my life the situation went really bad for me as my throat started getting infectious and white
so the doctors gave me antibiotics like penicillin through injection. recently i discovered that they don't wear gloves when doing the injection or the gloves they are using is same for every patient .so what if their gloves was dirty with other person blood and it touched the needle they used to inject the drug to me? how risky was it?  

Dear Bandit12,

HBV is around 100 times more infective than HIV while HCV is around 10 times. Both of them are transmitted by body fluids and sexual route.

Of the two HBV is more likely to be transmitted sexually. The exact risk is difficult to state as it depends on a number of variables.The risk of transmission is more with anal sex, if any of the partners have genital ulcers or co-existing HIV infection, and if the viral load is very high.

Transmission through comb or gloves is very unlikely. Transmission is more likely with hollow piercing instruments and if the recipient has breaks in his skin.

Both HBV and HCV can be clinically in apparent for variable periods of time before producing symptoms or biochemical abnormalities.

Given your high risk behavior i would suggest you to get an anti HCV, HBsAg and LFT as a screening test. However if you are looking at ruling them 100% then you can go for HCV RNA and HBV DNA analysis.

Only HBV disease can be prevented by vaccination and at present there are no vaccines against HCV. Vaccination should be done only if you do not have HBV infection and it comprises of three doses (0, 1m, 6month) intramuscular (deltoid - hand) injections. Of the brands available Engerix-B is the original brand.

Rest it is always best to avoid high risk behaviors that put you at risk of such diseases

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Poorna Chandra
heres the other questions i couldn't in the message above ..thx

4.is it possible that i got hepatitis from the exposures i mentioned specially from the sexual one to this day after almost 5 years without any symptoms ,pains,etc?? if u recommend a blood test what test is the best?

5.im going to take the vaccine soon,and i heard there are several vaccines. tell me which is the best and safest?because i don't want to get HIV or anything else..

thanks for the answer doctor...i have decided to take the HBV HCV DNA and RNA to make sure i'm clear of these infections if thats what you're suggesting?
why me?
Dear Bandit12,

Yes, you can go for HCV RNA and HBV DNA testing. If they are negative (less than the lower limit of detection), then you do not have these infections.

Best Regards,
Dr. Poorna Chandra.
A related discussion, hpb was started.
A related discussion, hep b help was started.