Hepatitis Expert Forum
Re: upper right quadrant pain

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Re: upper right quadrant pain

Posted By kenn on June 04, 1999 at 02:21:03PDear doctors, I was diagnosed with Hepatitis A 9 months ago (Sept. 1998)after becoming ill in Mexico following a long travel excursion. I experienced symptoms generally associated with Hep A (i.e. jaundice, loss of appetite, nausea, headaches,etc) but no pain in the upper right quandrant until three months after being ill and after my other symptoms had long disappeared. This pain continues to bother me nine months after the initial illness. It is a dull pain that bugs me on and off but fairly persistently. Other symptoms included dry throat and mouth and eyes. I was checked for diabetes in March and the test was negative. In March I visited a physician who conducted blood tests on me. My liver function tests came back normal, however my IGg test came back inconclusive. I have since continued to experience the pain although ultrasound and x-rays that followed were normal as well. My doctor seems to think that the pain may be due to a liver still in the process of regenerating. Does this seem likely? Is an IGg inconclusive test normal? What questions should I ask of the doctor on my next visit concerning other tests or approaches we may consider? Thank you very much for your time, much appreciated.PPHR WIDTH=75% SIZE=4 COLOR=#000090
Posted By HFHSM.D.-D.M. on June 10, 1999 at 15:35:43PbrDear Kenn:pI am intrigued by your story.  You developed hepatitis A while traveling in Mexico.  It sounds like you recovered from the hepatitis A but you now have persistent right upper quadrant pain that wont go away.  Youve had some lab tests and an abdominal ultrasound that was normal.pFirst, I am not sure what the IGg test is and I am not sure how to interpret an inconclusive IGg test.  There are a couple of tests I can think of that you might be referring to but I feel uncomfortable speculating.  If youd like you can try to get me a little more information about this test and than I can comment.  pI am not sure what is causing your pain.
Posted By BEVERLY on June 23, 1999 at 00:18:04

HI MY MOM IS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH PAIN IN THE
UPPER RIGHT QUADRANT SHE IS HAVING A HARD TIME
MAKING IT TO WORK EVERYDAY.  THE DOCTORS WILL
NOT PUT HER OUT ON DISABILITY BUT THEN YET THEY
WANT HER TO TAKE PAIN KILLERS TILL THEY FIND
OUT WHAT THE CAUSE OF HER PROBLEMS ARE.  THE
PAIN IS NOW RADIATING ITO HER BACK WHEN SHE
BENDS OVER OR LEANS FOWARD IT MAKES IT WORSE
IF SHE LIES DOWN SHE FEELS BETTER.  AFTER SHE
EATS SHE FEELS SICK AND HAS LOTS OF GASTRIDIS.
DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM?

Follow Ups:

Re: upper right quadrant pain HFHSM.D.-D.M. 6/27/1999
(2)

upper right quadrant pain kenn 7/02/1999
(1)

Re: upper right quadrant pain HFHSM.D.-D.M. 7/11/1999
(0)