Hepatitis Expert Forum
Total anti-HBC vs. IgM anti-HBc
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Total anti-HBC vs. IgM anti-HBc

I recently had a blood test performed - which included Hepatitis B - where the Total anti-HBc was positive and the IgM anti-HBc was negative.  While I have seen many charts showing how to interpret HBV test results, I have yet to find anything showing or otherwise explaining this combination. (Incidentally, the anti-HBs was positive and HBsAG was negative.)
  I was immunized, at one point, for HBV but I never finished the series.  I do not recall when I was immunized, but I think it was 5 or more years ago.  Is it possible that anti-HBs was positive because of the immunization, but that total anti-HBc was positive because I actually had HBV due to an imcomplete vaccination series?  I never had any symptoms.  I believe I am now immune but:
  Am I a carrier?  Could I infect my spouse or children?  Can I donate blood?  Do I need to be concerned with liver damage?  Do I need further testing?
  In summary, how do I interpret test results where the only positive results were for anti-HBs and total anti-HBc?