Hepatitis Expert Forum
alcohol and Lortab w/ hep C

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

alcohol and Lortab w/ hep C
My husband is 55 years old and was recently diagnosed with Hep c. Grade 1/stage2. the specialist recomended 24 weeks of interferon after biopsy. Needless to sya he was scared to death. He then went to his family gp and was told he would die of old age before hep c, skip the interferon, and wrote an rx for Lortab and Ultram. GP knows he has a problem with Lortab addiction and alcoholism.So now he is eating Lortab and drinking heavily. The Lortab woke up the addiction monster.Now I am scared to death. Will the opiates and alcohol affect the Hep C? Please, I need help!
Please forgive me for jumping in here. You want an answer from Dr. D, but there is no need to wait for that before curtailing the alcohol!  BTW, the specialist probably knows more about liver disease and treatment than the GP.