Hepatitis Expert Forum
blood test results

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

blood test results

About 25yrs. ago I came down with Hep-C my urine was very dark and my stools were very light.  Tests confirmed I had Hep-c, at that particular time it was called Non-A Non-b Hepatitis. I found an alternative method of reducing my viral count, it worked wonders.  Prior to using the substance my viral count was 385,000. The last count was 1,800.  I asked my doctor to check my count again to see if the virus was zero. The doctor ran a Hepatic Panel, it did not show any thing about a viral count. Was this the right test for what I was looking for because this facility has tested me before with wrong tests.

This test showed my ALT was high what does this mean and what does it point to.  

It means you still have hepatitis C and your liver enzymes were elevated. The correct test to perform is the HCV Quantitative RNA
This in reference to your answer about my blood teast concerning high ALT. I am so confused, because a previous blood test showed my enzymes were normal. That was the reason why I requested a blood test for my viral count. What type of test that previous test was I don't know.

Could your enzymes be normal and still have Hep-C?
Abnormal LFTs often, but not always, indicate that something is wrong with the liver, and they can provide clues to the nature of the problem. However, normal LFTs do not always mean that the liver is normal. Patients with cirrhosis and bleeding esophageal varices can have normal LFTs. Of the routine LFTs, only serum albumin, bilirubin and prothrombin time (PT) provide useful information on how well the liver is functioning.

Trinity
Yes you can have normal LFTs and still have an active infection. The test suggested by Dr D is a 'viral count'. Currently you will not beat this without interferon.
Thanks team!  You are all correct. ALT and AST do not mean anything in regards to the severity of the liver disease. It often causes further investigation, but frankly, I think everyone should be tested for  HAV, HBV and HCV no matter their  liver enzymes are.
just been diagnosed with hep c, my quantitation was 4,400,000 my hcv log10 was 6.643  my pt was 0.9 and my ast was 99, and alt was 109. i am having a liver biopsy monday, do i have something to worry about with these results?
thanks