Hepatitis Expert Forum
bloodtranfusion

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

bloodtranfusion

hi i have wrote befor but did not get any replays. my qoistion is this my husband has hepc, &cirrhesis he has had 5bloodtransfusions in the last yr. he just had one 30 days ago he is haveing anouther one on friday. how meany can he have do to anemia becuse of hepc &cirrhosis? well  the transfusions get closer? and what does this mean is he getting worse?is ther any thing i schould be asking the doc.? thanks for all your time.
I'm surely no expert at any of this but it makes sense to ask his doctor these same questions. Maybe bring a notebook and pen, jot down your questions and try to jot down the answers doctor gives you.  This is your husband afterall, you need to know what's going on with his health and how you can help.  God Bless You Both!
Just a few questions and comments.  Was your husband requiring transfusions prior to Hep C tx?  When his blood count started to go done was he ever put on Epogen?  It is real expensive (about 1200 per shot)  This medication is suppose to help increase blood cell formation, consequently decrease anemia.  Secondly, has the doctor decreased his Ribrovin?  The usual treatment course is to start decreasing the medication until blood work improves.  If you contact the company that produces the medications should be able to send information fact sheets to give an  idea about what they recommend.  Each person is different and your physcian is responsible for prescribing.  I hpe you are able to get the help you need.  Oh about blood transfusions them self, There are always some kind of risks.  Will write more later.