Hepatitis Expert Forum
disinfecting items Hepatitis C

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

disinfecting items Hepatitis C
I inherited some of my aunts pierced earrings, she had Hepatitis C. Will soaking them in alcohol kill all the germs from her illness? How long should I soak them?
Agree. Bleach is the best antiviral there is!  
Use diluted bleach (10:1) or formaldehyde. Alcohol is not recommended.

ML
From what I understand, if her aunt hasn't worn these earrings within four days, then she has nothing to worry about, as the Hep C virus lives outside the body in blood up to 4 days only.  Is that correct?

Trish
I have read that hepatitis c can live outside the body 4 days to 2 weeks. It would depend on the amount of blood. Example: If you bleed on the counter and the blood is a good amount and doesn't dry on the inside then it would be possible the virus is still active in the fresher blood.  

I would say the ear rings are safe but don't take chances clean them with bleech. Hope this helps.

Dayz
I am 6 years post liver transplant from genotype 3 Hep C.  My doctors want to start treatment to clear the virus.  I take Prograf for the liver transplant and I know Naragenin affects the Prograf levels.  My question is if during treatment I also took Naragenin and my prograf levels were closely watched and adjusted for the Naragenin effects, wouldn't I have a better chance of clearing the virus.
The doc might not see your question here.  You might want to copy and paste it into a brand new question.
Dont put your new questions into these long strings as Trish suggests. However, I am not convinced that Nagagenin has been demonstrated to work yet so if your transplant is endangered by changing prograf levels, I think I would stick with the HCV treatment alone. Too many variables in the equation makes it very hard to follow. Good Luck with your treatment! DTD