Hepatitis Expert Forum
falling through the cracks

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

falling through the cracks

what about people like me that have no health insurance and have
  too much to be considered poor enough for help.found out i have hep c in 1993 and im so scared.have pain and anxiety and have no money.i read this is an expensive disease.I dont tell anyone not even my doctor cause i want to try to get insurance before it is too late but i feel so bad that i dont think im going to make it.i try to take care of myself but i know i need help.what can i do.

_
Dear Kathy Johnson:
I was quite touched by your questions.  A lot of people have hepatitis C and do not have insurance or any financial resources.  However, I feel there are a few things you can do to try to get good care.  
First of all, you should make sure you do not qualify for Medicaid or Medicare because they would certainly cover treatment for hepatitis C.  Secondly, many of the companies that make the drugs for hepatitis C have programs where they can obtain the medication at no charge or a reduced charge.  I have experience with these programs and I can tell you they are legitimate.  You do have to show, however, that you cannot afford the drugs.  Finally, many centers do clinical trials where care and medication is provided free to patients.  If you tell me where you live, I might be able to find a liver specialist in your area who does clinical trials.  Remember, Kathy, however, that hepatitis C takes decades to cause severe liver damage so there certainly is no need for you to panic.  I suspect there is a way to get you treatment and medications.  
I hope this information is helpful to you.  If you have additional information or questions, I would invite you to post the material to MEDHELP or to contact us directly at Henry Ford (313) 916-8865.  If you are in the Detroit or Michigan area, I would certainly invite you to see us. We have an active group of liver specialists and we have a strong interest in and experience with hepatitis C.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation.  Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.  

1 Comment
A related discussion, insurance issues was started.