Hepatitis Expert Forum
false negative??

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

false negative??

Posted by checking for nancy on May 10, 1999 at 16:38:23
I know there are often false positive hep. C. test results, but my friend received a "false negative".  After which, she was ultimately diagnosed with a "positive" result.  How can this be, is it that she was in the very initial stages of developing the disease?   She is  on the "combo" treatment, and I  understand that she won't have a biopsy until after the 6 mo. treatment period, is this usual?  I greatly appreciate your forum site, thank you form very concerned people who don't know where else to turn.    

Posted by HFHSM.D.-D.M. on May 21, 1999 at 17:19:34

Dear checking for nancy:
I appreciate your questions on behalf of your friend.  I will try to shed some light on some of your questions though the information is just a little unclear.
There are two main tests for hepatitis C, the antibody test and the PCR test.  My first question to you is which one was false negative in your friend.
Both tests rarely give a false negative.  However, there are circumstances in which they can.  The antibody test can take a little while to turn positive and can be
A related discussion, Confused.com? was started.