Hepatitis Expert Forum
hereditary
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

hereditary

my husband received a letter today from when he donated blood that says tested positive for the hepatitis c antibody and a confirmatory test called recombinant immunoblot assay (riba)2 was also found to be positive, we immediately went to our doctor and they performed another test and we will hear from that on friday. your q & a forum has been most helpful and appreciateyou for that.  my question is my husbands mother had hepatitis B when my husband was about 4 and last year my husbands sister tested positive for hepatitis c, now my husband.  is there any connections to this?  our doctor says that it is not hereditary, but this is very abnormal in a family isn't it??  once again, thank you for your question/answer forum and i look forward to reading more.
Related Discussions

_
Dear paul quakenbush:
I appreciate your question and your concerns.  I always appreciate the opportunity to talk about transmission of hepatitis C because I feel it is important to get accurate information out there.  
Hepatitis B is a different virus from hepatitis C though, in some cases, they can be transmitted through the same route.  However, if you have hepatitis B, it absolutely does not mean you have hepatitis C or vice versa.  In fact, in my experience, it is relatively unusual for some one to be infected with both.
You husband would not have been able to get hepatitis C from your mother unless his mother had hepatitis C when she gave birth to your husband.  There is a small chance that a woman with hepatitis C can pass the virus to her infant.  That chance is between 2 to 5% but can increase if the woman also has the HIV (AIDS) virus.  It would be interesting to know if your husband
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979