Hepatitis Expert Forum
my G.I. Dr. ignoring my disease

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

my G.I. Dr. ignoring my disease

55 y/o male with hep c dx from 1998 (probable exposure in 1970) . Three biopsies indicate consistent decline (now at grade 3). I have continued to work full time, despite episodes of fatigue and neuropathy in my feet. In the past year the fatigue has worsened significantly and I now have begun experiencing joint pain in my hands. My G.I. Dr. consistently has not been very proactive in my condition. More than four times, it is I who has requested timely blood work. In May of this year, I had to remind him that it had been over a year since my last viral load. On two subsequent f/u appt's the report was not available and he said he would f/u on next appt. I saw him last week (no mention of the blood work) re: my continued decline and my inability to attend work consistently due to "cycling" into periods of almost debilitating fatigue, now lasting several days at time. I requested to begin treatment and to be placed on disability, to avoid losing my job and benefits; specifically my long term benefits which would pay me 66% of my base salary. He blew me off, telling me "he doesn't do that" and referred me to the Stanford Liver clinic which has a clinic monthly at the local hospital. By the time I'm able to be seen I may have already lost my job from calling in sick to much. Also, how can I be evaluated and ask for a leave of absence from someone who has no history with me. It may come across has a malingerer when my "specialist" has refused to do it. Likewise, if I change doctors it may look as some form of "shopping" in order to get off work. I don"t no what to do. I have a family to care for. This disease is difficult enough, let alone having to be treated in this way. Sorry for the long question, but what should I do? Thankyou  
Hi, I would definitely try to find a doctor who takes your disease seriously ASAP. Do get in touch with the Stanford Clinic... perhaps you will be seen sooner than you think. Your symptoms sound debilitating and it sounds like you need treatment. You would definitely be able to provide supporting documents to your employer and/or insurer as HCV is not an imaginary disease. Any compassionate doctor would provide you with the necessary documents to help you out where your job is concerned. I feel for you.

Good luck,
Chiara
listen to me ur doctor by law has to turn over info if requested by an ttorney and cooperate ! Its funny u should say ur doctor said he dont do that so did mine until i got a ssd attorney who does not get money until u are awarded money from the state he takes right out of that check it takes a year but u will get it ! If u do not choose that route then u have 2 more choices like the family leave act that u get paid for being home and going through treatment also this is like having job security because they cant fire u for being out u have supporting doctors appt ect they and undergoing treatment they can be sued ! Or temp disability any questions i will gladly help u dont sweat this and stress ur self out u worked for it and now u r really sick listen to me i was in ur shoes already i wish someone had told me to do this i figured it out on my own it took about a year after everything !! God Bless
A related discussion, newly diagnosed with hep c was started.
A related discussion, Side Effects was started.