Hernia Repair Expert Forum
Abdominal Strain

This is a place to ask questions about hernia repair and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in hernia repair. A hernia occurs when part of an internal organ bulges through a weak area of muscle. Most hernias occur in the abdomen. Types of hernias, include, Inguinal, in the groin; Umbilical, around the belly button; Incisional, around or through a scar; Hiatal, in the diaphragm; Congenital Diaphragmatic, caused by a birth defect.

Abdominal Strain

I strained my abdomen and groin by doing too many sit ups last year. For various reasons, over exertion seemed like a good idea at the time. How wrong i was.

It feels like there is a lump in my belly, below my sternum, this lump is tender to touch, and it gives me the sensation of a "hole" in my chest.   There is also a  "lump" in my groin, on both sides. Ive also been having warm sensations All over my body, from head to toe.

Ive been to the doctor, and he found no evidence of a hernia. Might he be wrong?
Hi Fitshape,
Nothing against your doctor’s diagnostic skills, but it is sometimes possible for a person to have one or more small hernias that are not felt on exam.  In my practice, if I have trouble feeling a hernia ina patient, but am still suspicious, I’ll often order a CT Scan of the Abdomen and/or Pelvis to more thoroughly evaluate this.  Usually, even small inguinal (groin) hernias can be seen on a CT, and abdominal wall (ventral) hernias are generally seen quite easily.  While the lumps in your groins sound fairly typical of inguinal hernias, the lump under your sternum may be a hernia or what is called a “diastasis recti”.  This is not a true hernia, but a thinning of the tendon between the right and left rectus abdominis muscles, and generally do not require repair.  Ask your doctor if he/she will order an abdominal/pelvic CT.  If not, you might want to consult with a hernia specialist.
Dr. P
Thanks, this was really helpful. While the "lump" under my sternum isnt really a Lump, i do have the "Line" going down my abdomen. Ill be sure to take some notes, and talk to my doctor about this.

Ive been having short breaths, heart palpitations, and a racing heart rate at times. Can that be attributed to the Diastasis recti?

Im also having warm sensations all over my body, head to toe. I dont know what might be causing that, but could my muscles be constricting my arteries or other blood vessels?
The “line” going down your abdomen is indeed much more indicative of a diastasis rather than a true hernia, so I’m betting that’s what you probably have without actually examining you.  As for your symptoms of palpitations and shortness of breath, this IS NOT due to any diastasis, and sound more likely related to your heart.  Thus, you should at least see your primary care physician and possibly even a cardiologist in order to have those symptoms thoroughly worked up.  I’m not sure about the warm sensations all over your body, but they’re again NOT attributable to any diastasis you might have.  You should mention them to your primary care MD as well and get his/her thoughts, as additional testing may be necessary.
Hope this helps,
Dr. P.