Hernia Repair Expert Forum
Bend in penis after open inguinal hernia repair

This is a place to ask questions about hernia repair and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in hernia repair. A hernia occurs when part of an internal organ bulges through a weak area of muscle. Most hernias occur in the abdomen. Types of hernias, include, Inguinal, in the groin; Umbilical, around the belly button; Incisional, around or through a scar; Hiatal, in the diaphragm; Congenital Diaphragmatic, caused by a birth defect.

almost three years ago I under went open surgery to have a mesh fitted over and inguinal hernia which I had for about 9 months previous. At he time of repair the hernia was quite large however the surgeon did not expect any poor outcomes.

I was only supposed to be in surgery for 45mins or so but the operation lasted roughly 1h45mins I'm told and I was in recovery for another 1h30mins after this which was much longer than expected (I was never told why only everything went as planned). I was suppose to get home that evening but ended up staying in hospital for three day, when leaving I was still in terrible pain. The scar I how have is about 5 inches long and ends about 2cm above the base of my penis on my left side extending towards my hip in a diagonal direction

About six months after my operation I noticed a very slight bend in my penis to the left and this seemed to be getting progressively worse over the following 6-9 months. After about a year an a half after my operation I finally got the courage to go to see my GP who referred me to a urologist. The urologist checked for pyronies disease (I didn't have any hard plaques) and noted how close the the scar was to the base off penis saying that it was cut closer than he had seen before. He referred me onto another surgeon so another 4 months went by and I finally had an appointment, the surgeon was fairly young about 27-28 not much older than me and started to tell me the way to fix the problem was to operate on te other side of my penis on my abdomen and pull it from that side to try to straighten it up. I quickly said no that this didn't seem logical as the problem existed on my left side and I thought maybe scar tissue had attached to the side of the penile muscle causing it to anchor at one side causing the bend or scar tissue is not allowing the skin to stretch enough on my left side causing it to pull from the left causing the bend? At this point he called in the consultant, he had a look and said he wasn't sure but if i was still able to have an erection with out considerable pain and have intercourse to leave it alone as further surgery may cause more damage than it's worth.

It's now 3 years on, I haven't went back but the situation still seems to be worsening, maybe it's just me thinking it's getting worse but there is a considerable bend even when I'm not aroused. It seems to be 'stitched' in at the left side even when flaccid compared to the right side and the the tip my penis has also turned I.e. the the head of my penis not only bends to the left but has rotated to the right.

If anyone has any advise or knowledge on how to proceed with my problem I would be very greatful as its constantly playing on my mind.
Hi gazz i would. Advise thst u go back to these prople n tel them of n about ur situation n vomplaine of n about it. To the piont were u get a result n if getting a result n domething fone of n about it n them sorting it out for u n solving n easing n correcting your problems dituation n condition n pain ect then id compksin to the head of the department in my opinion u quite clearly need this gixing n correcting as ur prnius should not be like it is n they should never have cut ss vlose to it as they did i serjest thst u look into seeing if theres anything u can do n get from them msking such a seriouse error n problem for u when thry were just surpose to be correcting naking ur condition better n not adding to it n making it worse
Hi gazz i would serjest that u go back and complain to the head of the hospitals and the drs and write to the. Head of parlimentry n health service ombudsman millbank tower millbank london.  sw1p. 4 q p ok n tel them of n about ur situation n from start to finish n of n about your preasent situation n condition caused n relating to what should have been an answer n solution to your hurnia problem ok n if its ok with you please let me now how u get on ok and good luck i hope my advise has been helpfull for n to. You x