Hernia Community
Advice pleaseeeeee

Hernia occurs when part of an internal organ pushes through an opening in the organ’s wall. There are many types of hernias such as Inguinal Hernia (in the groin), Umbilical Hernia (around the belly button), and Incisional Hernia (through a scar). Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms, causes and surgical treatments for hernias.

Advice pleaseeeeee

Hi everyone this is the first time ive tried anything like this so here it goes..., i am a 30 yr woman in the uk.. I have just been told i have a hiatal hernia about 3cm.. the pain started with a night of violent vomiting back in Nov 2012, since then i have been unable to walk, run or stand for very long without being in pain. I have a burning, sometimes itchy cramp like pain just under the middle of my rib cage,spreading out to the left, some times when i walk it feels like there is a hole and everything is moving around inside, i dont get too much acid coming up but i am on lansoprazole twice a day.. i am on tramadol which does help take most of the pain away but makes me very sleepy even after a few mths of taking it now. My doctor says H. Hernia can not cause the pains ive been having, tramadol wont help H.Hernia pain and they wont ref me for the op2 fix it as MOST people dont need it... i have also been told i have loin pain hematuria syndrome, a very rare condition only 700 people in the world have, with no cure. i feel like i am being pushed to one side so they can save some money i am no way at the stage of accepting that LPHS is my future!! i have see another doctor that says they have seen lphs and what i have is not that. Can any one tell me if they have the same pain, or if tramadol did help them with H.Hernia pain, if they were able to get an op and were you better afterwards?? ive also heard a chiropractor could help put everything back in its place, has any1 tried that? Thanks!!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

A hiatal hernia occurs when part of the stomach pushes upward through the diaphragm. Small hernias are usually asymptomatic. A large hiatal hernia can allow food and acid to back up into your esophagus, leading to heartburn. Self-care measures or medications can usually relieve these symptoms, although a very large hiatal hernia sometimes requires surgery.

Since medications don't seem to be helping much why don't you try lifestyle measures? Take frequent small meals. Eat dinner about two hours before sleeping. Elevate the head end of the bed. Keep a food diary and note down what aggravates your symptoms and avoid them. Ensure to maintain optimum weight by regular exercise. Avoid non steroidal  anti inflammatory medications NSAID's, quit smoking, eliminate alcohol and reduce stress levels. These measures need to be practiced long term for results. Hope this helps!!
I am already undertaking all of the above (since nov), i mediate and do pilates i have never smoked and dont drink, i have lost 2 stone since this started i now weight 9stone an am 5'4, stress is a factor but only because of the pain. i am still yet to see any improvement, but i appreciate your responce. As my doctors keep telling me, i am a mystery :-(  i still feel it is the hernia causing this as it all started with the throwing up, maybe because i have narrow tubes already, that is causin me more discomfort than most or normal people?? i just have to convince the surgeon of this, or go private which i think will cost about £1500 in birmingham, uk?