Hernia Community
Cleaning belly button after hernia surgery?

Hernia occurs when part of an internal organ pushes through an opening in the organ’s wall. There are many types of hernias such as Inguinal Hernia (in the groin), Umbilical Hernia (around the belly button), and Incisional Hernia (through a scar). Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms, causes and surgical treatments for hernias.

A few years ago I had surgery to remove a hernia next to my belly button which was removed through my belly button, my belly button was stitched up and now I find it very difficult to clean it as it seems dirt remains in it and I can't get it out, any suggestions?
It was burnt off 10 years ago and I cannot keep dirt out how can I clean it without damaging myself?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

You can try flushing water with force, this may help to clean. This technique is used to clean ear wax.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
What do you mean with force? Water doesn't seem to help anyway, can I use salt water and a cotton ball or would this make it worse?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

When water is passed through a narrow opening with increased pressure, like a syringe, it comes out with force. You can use cotton swabs/balls and lukewarm water to clean.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.