Hernia Community
Could hip and knee pain result from hernia mesh?

Hernia occurs when part of an internal organ pushes through an opening in the organ’s wall. There are many types of hernias such as Inguinal Hernia (in the groin), Umbilical Hernia (around the belly button), and Incisional Hernia (through a scar). Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms, causes and surgical treatments for hernias.

I had femoral hernia repair surgery with mesh about 3.5 years ago. I've always had some lingering pain in the region of the repair, perhaps more like a "strain", making it feel like it was going to pop out again, especially while vacuuming or doing exercises that strain the abdomen. Now, for the last year or so, I've continued with that pain but also have other pain on that same side, including my hip and knee and sometimes my ankle. Could this all be related somehow? It seems to me that it is. Any opinions? Or has anyone had a similar experience? I saw an orthopedist as I figured I had arthritis but x-rays showed my hip and knee looking basically normal.
Tags: hernia mesh hip knee pain
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Postoperative fibrosis can sometimes cause the pain. If there is radiation of pain, it could sometimes be due to sciatica. This occurs due to spinal disc herniation (slipped disc), spinal stenosis (narrowing of spinal canal) or due to the piriformis syndrome. I would advise you to consult your doctor for a reevaluation of your symptoms. Usually it is treated conservatively (without surgery). If it does not respond he may then ask for a CT or an MRI scan.

In the meantime, Avoid those movements or exercises that aggravate your pain. Try not to lift weights or bend as this can worsen your symptoms. Try applying local analgesic creams. Place ice over the painful area every 1-2 hrs for pain relief. Sleep on a firm surface with a pillow under the knees and take OTC pain medications like Tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen. Ensure to take them after food.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.