Hernia Community
Feel something push out under ribcage

Hernia occurs when part of an internal organ pushes through an opening in the organ’s wall. There are many types of hernias such as Inguinal Hernia (in the groin), Umbilical Hernia (around the belly button), and Incisional Hernia (through a scar). Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms, causes and surgical treatments for hernias.

Feel something push out under ribcage

It started out under the right side just a small area would push out under my ribcage if I moved a certain way. No pain just a lil bit weird feeling slightly uncomfortable. It didn't feel right so I would lean toward my left and forward and push it back in. I have normal heartburn occasionally  depending on what i eat but it feels like its getting bigger because more is pushing out it is more painful when it pushes out but feels better after I have pushed it back in. I have had it for a long time but have noticed I am having problems with bowel movements, my stomach hurts a lot, gas, and even swallowing sometimes. I asked my family doctor when I first started noticing and he said it was probably a hiatal hernia and at the time I was having thyroid issues so we started dealing with that and I just never followed up on it. It didn't happen all the time and didn't hurt really bad so I just dealt with it.  But it feels bigger now and happens more frequent and hurts more to push back in. What should my next step be. Is there anything that can be done or is this something I just have to deal with.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

A hiatal hernia is the protrusion (or herniation) of the upper part of the stomach into the thorax through a tear or weakness in the diaphragm.  It causes symptoms such as heartburn, nausea, and regurgitation. But its unlikely to cause any protrusion through the abdominal wall. Right upper quadrant pain can be due to liver or gall bladder disorders. Sometimes anxiety with flatulence can cause this pain. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time. He may advise blood tests for liver function tests and maybe to do an abdominal ultrasonography to rule out hepatic enlargement or any stones in the gallbladder.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.