Hernia Community
Hernia or muscle spasm?

Hernia occurs when part of an internal organ pushes through an opening in the organ’s wall. There are many types of hernias such as Inguinal Hernia (in the groin), Umbilical Hernia (around the belly button), and Incisional Hernia (through a scar). Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms, causes and surgical treatments for hernias.

Hernia or muscle spasm?

I need some help, I have this swelling in my shoulder hear my neck. It's very swollen and my doc thinks it's a muscle in spasm. I have tried heat, ice, muscle relaxers, massage, exercises, icy hot and so on, the swelling won't go away and it causes pain that goes 1/2 way down my arm and gives me headaches. I have almost no range of motion in my neck. But I can fully move my arm.. Can someone point me in the right direction so I can find someone who can help me... thx
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
I can confirm the exact cause of your symptoms only after a complete medical history and clinical examination. The size of swelling, nature of swelling, appearance, fixity to surrounding structures all will help in determining the cause of your symptoms. This swelling can be due to lymph node enlargement, sprained muscle, fracture or any soft tissue swelling. The common causes of shoulder and neck pain are injury to the soft tissues, including the muscles, tendons, and ligaments within these structures. Cervical spondylosis can lead to severe neck pain and radiating pain from disc herniation.It may cause pinching of nerves. Rotator cuff injury, tendonitis, gallbladder disease, bursitis all can lead to shoulder pain. If you are not finding any relief with the above treatment it is best to get reevaluated and consider another diagnosis. Do keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!