Inguinal and Femoral Hernias
I was having pain in my groin and lower left abdominal area along with lower back pain and pain shooting down my let.  My regular doctor could not feel a bulge but sent me for an ultrasound, specifically looking for a hernia.  The radiologist determined I had an inguinal and a femoral hernia.  My doctor referred me to a general surgeon.  After my visit with the surgeon, he said her couldn't feel anything and ultrasounds are not always accurate so I had to have a CT scan, which my cost would  be over $600.  He said it could be a pulled muscle too.  After doing alot of research on my own, I have read many stories about hernias in women that go misdiagnosed because you can't always see a bulge or feel it.  I have ALL the symptoms of a hernia and the ultrasound showed two.  Isn't the report by the radiologist from the ultrasound enought to show that there is a hernia, along with my symptoms?  Should I see another surgeon?  Do you feel the CT scan to be necessary?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Inguinal and femoral hernias are usually detected by a physical examination. They appear as bulge and increase in size after coughing and decrease on lying down. Ultrasound is not very sensitive when it comes to examination of bowel loops, due to the air in them. So, a more specific test would be A CT scan with contrast, if it is suspected to be a loop of intestine. MRI can also help, since it will visualize soft tissue more exactly. Unless a definite diagnosis is made, it is difficult to proceed with therapy.

Usually to begin with a diagnosis of hernia is made by a physical examination and to further confirm or know more details imaging studies are done. But to clear doubts you can have the imaging studies done.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.