Hernia Community
Inguinal hernia? WORRIED!

Hernia occurs when part of an internal organ pushes through an opening in the organ’s wall. There are many types of hernias such as Inguinal Hernia (in the groin), Umbilical Hernia (around the belly button), and Incisional Hernia (through a scar). Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms, causes and surgical treatments for hernias.

Inguinal hernia? WORRIED!

I know many doctors and health professionals have a sceptical view on people who self diagnose, but I'm slightly embarrassed about this issue and it's beginning to cause me some problems.

Anyway, I remember when I was young being very upset when I noticed one of my testicles appearing to be lower than the other, my dad told me it was normal so I ignored it and presumed it was normal, however when I got a bit older and learnt a bit more I kind of realised that it might not be so normal having a large lump of tissue behind my left testicle (painless and squishy). I then became very scared and paranoid I had some form of cancer and then being a typical man decided to just ignore it...

After about 2-3 years (I know...) I finally plucked up the courage to go and see my doctor, who then decided that it was probably just a hydrocele (she rushed through the examination and I wasn't really happy with it, I would of had a second opinion but I was happy with the harmless outcome..). That was maybe 6 months ago possibly longer, but I recently noticed the lump behind the back of testicle had become larger. I'm now in complete panic mode and have been looking stuff up and came across this image:

http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/articles/images/anatomy_Inguinal_Hernia.jpg

And this seems to fit the bill for what I think I have/what it feels like/positioning (although its on the back of the testicle not the front like in the picture).

Is it likely that I have this? if so, what, realistically would be the treatment for it, I have heard surgery, what are the implications of this? what's the likely time in hospital/recovery limitations etc... Please help it's worrying me, and for a while has made me very insecure about myself in the bedroom... I need to get this sorted but I'm scared.

Thanks..
Does the squishy lump become harder on some days?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament, but please don't worry. The testicular lump could be due to epididymitis. It could also be a tumor or hydrocele or hernia. Ultrasonography may be needed to diagnose the cause. Consult your primary care physician for therapy. If the need arises he may refer you to a urologist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.