Hernia Community
Lower right abdominal pain for one month doctor said not a hernia?

Hernia occurs when part of an internal organ pushes through an opening in the organ’s wall. There are many types of hernias such as Inguinal Hernia (in the groin), Umbilical Hernia (around the belly button), and Incisional Hernia (through a scar). Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms, causes and surgical treatments for hernias.

I am a 28 year old male.  I had an unhealthy lifestyle (food / not working out) for a little over a year.  I was an athlete my entire life and decided to get back in shape.  I am currently 30 lbs over my optimal weight.  about 6 weeks ago I began working out which included running and weight lifting.  One day I was doing pushups and felt a strange tightness in my lower right abdominal approximately 2 inches to the right of my belly button and 1.5 inches down.

The tightness prompted me to stop and I waited two days and began doing pushups again.  This time the tightness came back almost right away and more pronounced but not painful but it made me stop immediately as I could tell it was not good.  For one month now i have had a dull pain in that area that also makes it difficult to sleep.  For the first 2 weeks I would get infrequent sharp pains lower in the groin area if i moved a certain way so i was certain it was a hernia even with no bulge.  I went to a doctor 1 week ago and he said he could not feel a hernia but that he wanted me to get a lower ab CT.  I am self employed and my insurance apparently has a 2k deductible for scans.

Basically, I would like to know if there is any chance this pain could be a strain after 1 month? I'm trying to exhaust all options to avoid dropping the 2k out of pocket if it ends up just being a strain.  At the same time it doesn't seem normal to have pain for this long in the same area, however I have never been this out of shape.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The pain could due to the muscle strain due to exercise. Hernia is the protrusion of abdominal contents through an abnormal opening. So, it should be visible and it should be visible on a clinical examination, except the rare internal hernias. Hernias are caused due to increased abdominal pressure like coughing, constipation or lifting heavy objects. So, avoid all exercises which increase this pressure, if you suspect hernia.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.