Hernia Community
Pain after hernia repair
About This Community:

Hernia occurs when part of an internal organ pushes through an opening in the organ’s wall. There are many types of hernias such as Inguinal Hernia (in the groin), Umbilical Hernia (around the belly button), and Incisional Hernia (through a scar). Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms, causes and surgical treatments for hernias.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pain after hernia repair

I had a laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair op just over 6 wks ago. My problem is that as soon as i start to walk round for any length(20 mins or more) or do normal household tasks(like hovering,cooking) i get a dragging,nagging ache which requires pain relief. I am no whimp but this ache is worse than before the op,more constant and the same type/place as before. I have not been back to consultant yet but just wondered if this was normal healing.  Hope someone out there has some ideas. Thanks in advance.D
I am sorry to know about your pain. Pain is common after hernia repair. In few patients it may persist for months before resolving. There can be several causes of this pain like nerve entrapment in scar tissue, mesh or sutures, nerve damage at time of surgery, scar tissue itself or tissue damage, misplaced mesh, contracted mesh plugs,infection,persistent hernia, narrowing of the internal inguinal ring around the spermatic cord etc.Pain can also be due to causes not related to the hernia nor its repair like musculoskeletal,intrapelvic,intraabdominal,genitourinary,infectious etc.It is difficult to confirm whether it is related to the healing process or any complication as mentioned above. It is better to follow-up with your surgeon and get  a clinical examination done. Only a complete examination can help in determining the cause of this pain. Do keep us posted on how you are doing.
Take care and good luck!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hernia Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank