Hernia Community
Recurring hernia with persistant abdominal seroma

Hernia occurs when part of an internal organ pushes through an opening in the organ’s wall. There are many types of hernias such as Inguinal Hernia (in the groin), Umbilical Hernia (around the belly button), and Incisional Hernia (through a scar). Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms, causes and surgical treatments for hernias.

I am 37 y.o. and I have had recurring hernias for about 7 year's. I have had large seromas after the 6th surgery. I have tried binders, compression garments, and even physical therapy to try to decrease the seroma and non of them worked. I had another surgery to drain it in March 2012. Well, the seroma came back and since Oct 3 I have had 2 surgeries, drains, and was even put in the hospital due the infection. I now have been put on a wound vac to see if it will allow te fluid to be suctioned out. I have suffered so much within the last 18 months that I am out of options. Not one doctor or any of the test reveal why I keep getting these hernia's. I haven't worked since last September and doubt if I will be able to get disability through the state.I've been a nurse for 10 years. I don't know what type of work I can do now. I still have the wound vac for the next two weeks, but I'm already noticing the seroms returning on one side of my abdomen. I'm stumped, discouraged, in a lot of physical pain. I don't know what to do now. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Treatment options for postoperative seromas include observation for spontaneous resolution, percutaneous aspiration, closed suction drainage, abdominal binders, and sclerosant. If the other options have not provided relief, introducing a sclerosant may help to close the cavity. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.