Sitting up hernia post op
In April 2013 I had a double ventral (open) incisional hernia repair. The biggest incision about two inches. I am trying to build up my tolerance to sitting up but man it hurts. It hurt a lot before due to other health issues but even more now. How do I know how hard to push myself? It's very frustrating to know limits.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Just stop when the pain starts, its a simple norm. Don’t overwork or push yourself, it could cause more harm than good. As the wound heals well and the post op inflammation and swelling totally subside, your mobility, posture and the pain will improve. So, take things slow and get well soon.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you. It seems like common sense to stop when in pain but it's just hard to know where to draw the line. Sitting up helps digestion and builds tolerance but I have to know when it's enough. Hard to believe it's only been a month. In November I had a TLH. Everything was removed. The hernias came as a result of something as simple as taking out the trash. I guess it's time to give myself TLC. Be active but don't overdo. Easier said than done.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand what you are going through. Don't bend, lift weights or try to reach for things above, beyond that you can do the usual walking around. Also, you can try and support the scar with your palms, when trying to change postures, this will help to some extent. And try to take well balanced meals, as this will promote good healing. Take care.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
My surgeon told me to increase protein. I am normally a healthy eater and drink a lot of water. I still have a lot of problems with total exhaustion. She said the combination of the two surgeries just within five months is what drained me.
I have been living with a growing hernia for 2 - 3 years. It cannot be repaired for another year or more pending weight loss.
My back is in chronic pain from being sedentary as this hole has been ripping out for the last couple of years.  Now that it is large, it is a bit more comfortable.  I would like to start building some muscles in the rest of my body.  I want to strengthen my arms without lifting?
Surgeon say this hernia is going to become even more massive until the repair but, I need to get on with my life and get stronger.
I know how frustrating it is to want to get on with it and have such limitations. I live alone and have to do for myself most times. I try to be independent but I don't want to hurt the progress or cause any pain either.
I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I was diagnosed 2 years ago with a HH. It has never given me acid reflux or anything like that. All I get, ( and it is more than I can stand sometimes) is pain after eating or taking meds. I also have herniated disks in my neck and back, costochondritis in my breast cartilage, and fobromyalgia. I am so done with pain, been tackling all sorts of pain for about 25 years. I am 59. So, back to the HH. I dont get pain often, but when I do, it hurts alot and my upper stomache is sore. This bout started on Thursday and I also got nausea for a day from it. Docotr wants me on nexium but I have no acid reflux and it hurts after swallowing the pill, as it does when I take my painmeds. Why do I have to take Nexium if there is no acid reflux? and why does this hernia only hurt from time to time? This time it has drained the life out of me.