Hernia Community
Symptoms of Hernia Strangulation

Hernia occurs when part of an internal organ pushes through an opening in the organ’s wall. There are many types of hernias such as Inguinal Hernia (in the groin), Umbilical Hernia (around the belly button), and Incisional Hernia (through a scar). Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms, causes and surgical treatments for hernias.

Symptoms of Hernia Strangulation

Yesterday, I was diagnosed by my GP with an umbilical hernia.  He setup a consultation with a surgeon, but I could not get an earlier appointment than two weeks from now.  My GP said the hernia was currently not an emergency, but warned me if I start feeling pain I should go immediately to the Emergency.  I guess my imagination may be playing tricks on me, because the area now feels more sensitive than it did before the diagnosis.  I'm just wondering what signs would confirm that the hernia was strangulated and required immediate atterntion (ie. vomiting, fever, discoloration.)  Also, are there certain activities or foods/drink I should avoid in the interim?

Thanks,
Mike
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.
The symptoms of umbilical hernia are few unless it becomes strangulated. When a loop of intestine in the hernia becomes pinched or strangulated there will be very severe pain in your abdomen. Other signs are nausea, vomiting, or a fever. There may be constipation or blood in bowel movements. In few cases you may not be able to pass gas or have a bowel movement. If left untreated it can lead to gangrene of that part of intestine. You should be watchful for these symptoms and signs. Take plenty of water and a healthy diet. Do keep me posted.
Best wishes and take care!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.
Best wishes and take care!
Hi Dr. Sharma,

Thanks for your response, it was very helpful and helped to alleviate my concerns regarding hernia strangulation.  My hernia is about 1 cm. in diameter   Usually, when I lie on my back it retracts significantly.  Is it recommended for a patient to push in the hernia manually?  (When I stand, it extends again.)  Also wondering about whether moderate aerobic exercise (stationary biking) would be hazardous.

Regards,

Mike