Hernia Community
Which Laxatives are safer?

Hernia occurs when part of an internal organ pushes through an opening in the organ’s wall. There are many types of hernias such as Inguinal Hernia (in the groin), Umbilical Hernia (around the belly button), and Incisional Hernia (through a scar). Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms, causes and surgical treatments for hernias.

Which Laxatives are safer?

I had inguinal Hernia surgery last Friday and haven't had much of an issue with the surgery itself, but have had a lot of problems with constipation. I have tried drinking more liquids, eating lots of fiber, and stool softeners.  The only things that seem to work are stimulant laxatives.  I took some orally and it made m stomach hurt but it didn't really get the ball rolling. Then I took a suppository and was finally able to go. I didn't feel totally cleaned out, but it was a start.  This morning my stomach hurts again and I feel like I need to go, but sitting on the toilet hasn't gotten me anywhere.

I think at this point the oral laxative would probably work and I know the suppository would.  I don't want my body to become dependent on these things and I don't want to mess up my bowels.  Is either of these methods safer than the other?  Should I be able to take them for another day or 2 without becoming dependent?

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

You need not worry. Taking laxatives for a day or two will not make you dependent. In fact you should take them if you have constipation now, as straining can cause a recurrence of hernia. Oral laxatives take longer to act than suppositories. You can take anything which is most comfortable for you, either the bulk forming, softeners or lubricants. Continue till your natural diet helps relieve your constipation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.