Hernia Community
can a femoral hernia or inguinal cause severe diarrhea

Hernia occurs when part of an internal organ pushes through an opening in the organ’s wall. There are many types of hernias such as Inguinal Hernia (in the groin), Umbilical Hernia (around the belly button), and Incisional Hernia (through a scar). Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms, causes and surgical treatments for hernias.

Hello and thanks for any help.

I have had an inguinal hernia repair about 2 years ago. Three weeks ago I awoke with severe lower (r) quadrant pain with severe diarrhea. I saw my Dr., he put on flagyl. bentyl, and bactrim. Then lomotil then permalite. Diarrhea did not stop, turned a yellowish color, constant pain, and intestional spasms I really find very hard to tolerate. Last nite I checked myself for a hernia, and I do believe I found it. This 1 is located more by the thigh and groin than the other 1. I did go to ER had CT of Abd but it showed nothing. I have kept myself hydrated so blood work really didn't show anything unusual. Can my above symptoms show the possibilities of being a hernia? Oh no appetite but no vomiting or fever. Just don't feel good. I'm supposed to GI Dr. Weds. but I am really uncomfortable and like I said miseriblile.

Thank you very much
Lillian
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Sometimes hernias can re occur. It could also be a femoral hernia. There is an inguinal ligament which separates the abdomen above from the thigh below. If the hernia is below this ligament then it is a femoral hernia.

It is unlikely that your symptoms are due to a hernia. Your persisting symptoms of nausea and malaise could indicate a viral gastroenteritis. The other causes could be jaundice if there is yellowish discoloration of skin, food poisoning if the symptoms occurred shortly after taking food, peptic ulcer disease and sometimes cholecystitis and pancreatitis. So, if your symptoms persist consult your doctor.
In the meantime continue to hydrate yourself and try to include yogurt in your diet.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.