Hernia Community
hernia or not hernia?

Hernia occurs when part of an internal organ pushes through an opening in the organ’s wall. There are many types of hernias such as Inguinal Hernia (in the groin), Umbilical Hernia (around the belly button), and Incisional Hernia (through a scar). Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms, causes and surgical treatments for hernias.

hernia or not hernia?

I am a 40 year old mother of 5. 5'4" 125 lbs. I have been exercizing for years. I play volleyball 3x a week. Zumba 3x a week. racquetball intermittently and also have been running.
I recently started a power bar class where we were told to do 30 throwdowns for abdominal work. I noticed that i felt like i had 'pulled' a muscle  the next time we had class and i tried to do a pushup and could not...so i held off on doing any ab work for a couple of weeks. I gingerly added a few crunches after and then noticed a couple of days later that i felt a sort of bubble on my upper left stomach. I can only feel it on the outer at times. I do feel a constant 'spot' tho and it is causing concern. It has gotten to the point now  where i feel it during zumba and also when i just sit still.
I have several goals in mind for this year, one being a warrior dash and another to start cross fit training.
My question is: if it is a hernia, why would i net feel the bubble all of the time. How can i fix it? what are the recovery times for the fix? If it's not a hernia...what else could it be?

thanks.
tj
Tags: Hernia
If it's a hernia at times it doesn't protrude from the opening. See your MD to have it checked.
If it is they at times put a mesh in at the Hernia. Recovery is a few weeks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Get an abdominal scan done such as an ultrasound to rule out any hernia. I doubt if it is a hernia till diagnosed. Rule out gastric acidity issues, follow up with a gastroenterologist.

Take care!