Hernia Community
hernias and pregnancy

Hernia occurs when part of an internal organ pushes through an opening in the organ’s wall. There are many types of hernias such as Inguinal Hernia (in the groin), Umbilical Hernia (around the belly button), and Incisional Hernia (through a scar). Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms, causes and surgical treatments for hernias.

hernias and pregnancy

I have already had two repair surgerys for a hernia about an inch up from my belly button. I stand 5 10 and only weigh 155 so im not overweight, however i did recently find out i was pregnant. Will the pregnancy cause amother tear or should the mesh hold thru the stretching?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello!
If it was a good abdominoplasty done for your previous two surgeries there won’t be any problem. After surgery if the healing was good then wound should remain intact during the pregnancy. There will not be any tearing but you may have some pain. Since your repairs were about an inch up from the belly button it should not interfere with the stretching caused due to growth of baby or delivery process. But it is best to consult an abdominal surgeon and a gynecologist for an expert opinion. Do keep us updated.
Take care and good luck!