hiatal hernia and panic attacks
hi i am a 37 year old male. I have had a hiatal hernia for 17 years. I have also been dealing with panic attacks ever since. I can't smoke (which is good), I cant drink alcohol. I can't eat big meals. I can't eat much chocolate, coffee, caffeinated sodas, too much of anything that is a stimulant (pain meds, energy drinks, etc.). Lately, i had been smoking, it literally caused me a panic attack almost every time i finished one. I quit and i'm on a nicotine patch, and will not start back. When i have a panic attack i feel as if i have to burp and can't, feel real full, and i have a lot of problems with my left arm. Such as fullness, tingling, and heaviness. I have just started reading the connection between these issues and the vegas nerve. All the doctors want to do is heavy dose the prevacid, prilosec, nexium,etc. You name it. I've tried it. The water in the morning (at least a quart)and dropping down hard on my heels, for me really works the best. All i've heard about the surgery is 90% negative. What if i really had a heart attack one day. How could you tell the difference in symptoms? A new revolutionary surgery is desperately needed for us. AND BELIEVE ME there are alot of us dealing with this exact issue. What do we do in the mean time?

This discussion is related to Hiatal Hernia.
Yes, panic attacks, vomiting and hernias seem to go hand in hand.  I am 33 now and have been getting panic attacks since I was in primary school. but when you're a child, what do you know?  All I knew was that I constantly thoughts I was dying, or terribly ill with some kind of disease.  I was only diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder when I had a depressive episode that landed me in hospital and getting in touch with a really good Psychiatrist.  It has been taking me most of my adult life to get my anxieties under control.  With my first hernia, I wasn't honest with the surgeon and didn't tell him that I suffer from anxiety and find that vomiting actually releases some of the anxiety.  So, guess what,  2 years down the line, the hernia was back and bigger than before.  My advise is, first start with the root cause of your problem.  First get your anxiety under control and then tackle the hernia operation.  You might find that you don't even need it!
I have a hiatal hernia and had a monitor for the palpatations.  It is like if I get up out of bed the palpatations slow down.  Found only mild tachycardia on the monitor at night.  During the day normal sinus rythm.  My doctor does think it is my reflux  and asked to make sure to double my prevacid.  Normally at night I take Zantac and have not had to many problems.  So will try the double meds.  I just do not like taking the meds but it does help.  Before or if I forget I get pressure between my ribs and upper stomach,  Makes me feel I can not breathe.  Oh and my mom had esophogeal spasms which led to a vasospasm to the heart.  So yes this can be a problem down the line if you do not keep it under control.