Hernia Community
laparoscopic inguinal hernia surgery

Hernia occurs when part of an internal organ pushes through an opening in the organ’s wall. There are many types of hernias such as Inguinal Hernia (in the groin), Umbilical Hernia (around the belly button), and Incisional Hernia (through a scar). Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms, causes and surgical treatments for hernias.

laparoscopic inguinal hernia surgery

13 days ago I got laparoscopic inguinal hernia surgery with mesh on each side. Pain has been awful but nothing compared to the first 7 days. My left side pain has been manageable, on the other hand my right side hurts and shooting pains/ black and blue down to my testes and so on. The surgeon for a follow up felt my abdominal area and asked me to caugh for each side, it took him one time to notice something wasn't right with my right side ( judging on his facial reaction) and then pinched and pushed in I think on the area on my right and asked if I could feel it and I couldnt. He wasn't much more informative after that and said I couldnt return to work until at least 4 weeks from now and wants a follow up in 2 weeks.How common is nerve damage, and what should I do if that is indeed the problem?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
I cannot confirm the cause without clinically examining you. Following hernia surgery there can be few compluications.It all depends on the method used and skill of the operating surgeon. Sometimes there may be gangrene when an organ pushes through the muscle and/or surrounding tissue wall which can cause blockage of blood flow to the intestines, appendix or gallbladder. Entrapment of the ilioinguinal, iliohypogastric or genital branch of genitofemoral nerve in the sutures, mesh or scar tissue can lead to chronic groin pain. If your pain is severe it is best to consult your operating surgeon and consult him urgently. Do keep us posted.
Take care and regards!