Herpes Community
COUNTER -- MEDICINE

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

COUNTER -- MEDICINE

I am not sure if I have herpes... but it's a possibility.  The blister on the bottom of my penis is very painful and I was wondering if there was any medicine that I could take to ease the pain -- something that I could buy at CVS/RITE AID etc...  Tomorrow is saturday and I can't see a doctor for this issue, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
Try either:

1. Baby-powder (to dry it out)
2. Ice (frozen water) - supposedly takes away pain
3. Cream called "abreva"
try carmex...it kind of speeds up the process..good luck
If this is herpes and it is less than 24-48 Hrs then be seen at a walk in clinic tommorrow. The sooner you get this seen the better. As at least you will know if it is or is not herpes.

If this is a first time outbreak then here are some ideas

First Outbreak Helps

The first ob can be a doozy. What are you trying for pain relief? Don't hesitate to sit with an ice pack in between your legs too if you need to. Unless you have a medical reason not to - try alternating tylenol with ibuprofen for pain relief comparable to some narcotics - ie tylenol 1000 mg at 6 am, 600 mg advil at 9, tylenol at noon, advil at 3 am etc. Also look for dermoplast spray (the blue can for the genital area, (not the red can) or another topical anesthetic spray ask you pharmacist  

Keep the affected area as dry as possible and wear no underwear (if possible) to let the air get at the area. The dryer that you keep the area the faster it will heal. When coming out of the shower use your hair dryer on a lower setting to dry the area so that way you do not have to rub it with a towel  

Apply cornstarch by sprinkling it on to the affected area as cornstarch helps to keep the area dry.  

To decrease the itching at night and to get a good nights sleep take Benadryl before bed time to get that good nights sleep.  

Finally if going to the bathroom is painful run water over the area, urinate in a tub or shower. All these help to dilute the acid in the urine.

If you have a lesion in an area that is causing a lot of pain and if it is so positioned that by putting a finger or two on it then put some thing on your hand and cover the area by pressing down and covering the area which will make it less painful to go to the bathroom.  

To make you feel better as well bath in either Aveeno or Epson (sp?) salts to sooth your aching body.

To learn more about herpes read the Herpes Handbook and watch the counseling DVD at

http://www.westoverheights.com/genital_herpes/handbook/view_the_chapters.html

Have you engaged in ANY sexual activity in the last week or 2? What does this blister look like and where is it located exactly?
Thanks for the help.

The blisters are tiny and seem like they're filled with water or some sort of liquid.  They popped and now I have just flesh pretty much.  It seems to be slowly healing though but it seems like two small new blisters are growing close by.

I had sex about two weeks ago.  I was very intoxicated -- I used a condom but I know at some point it came off and then we used another one.  I should add that was in Vegas and I slept with a stripper which makes everything more questionable.  

I am going to go for a test on Monday.
the blisters have popped so there's no way to get a lesion culture. You can get a baseline herpes igg blood test monday but you'll need to repeat it in 4 months if it's negative for hsv2.

grace
When you say 2 weeks ago, exactly how many days from sex to the blisters? If it were exactly 2 weeks, seems a little long but still entirely possible. If it was like 16 or 20 days, seems unlikely to be herpes. Did the blister leave ulcers after they popped or is it pink skin? What part of the penis was this?