Herpes Community
A few questions... A bit paranoid.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

A few questions... A bit paranoid.

Hi, I am a female living with what I believe is genital hsv 1. I believe this because I was diagnosed exactly 3 years ago (Oct 13, 2006) and have only had 4 outbreaks in total; 2 in the 1st year, and 2 in the past 2 years. I recently got out of a 2 year relationship with someone who is HSV2 possitive, and at the time i just assumed i had HSV2 (because it was in the genital area) so for the second half of our relationship we did not wear condoms. However, based on all the research I've done since then, I suppose I have hsv1 and not 2 given the fact that i have had such few outbreaks. So a few questions come to mind: 1) Is it possible that i have assymptomatic HSV2, and not HSV1 like i seem to believe? 2) If what i have is HSV1, Is it possible that i may have contracted HSV2 on top of my genital HSV1 and not know it? I just recently started seeing a man who is not infected and I was wondering what are the odds of me transmitting it to him either orally or genitally. I understand that genital to genital is rare when it comes to hsv 1, even more so if we would be using protection. So I am more concerned about him contracting it orally. 3) Is it possible for him to contract it orally? And if so, how high are the chances? I've read that most Americans are immune to hsv 1 due to the fact it's so common, and that the older the individual (he is 45 y/o) the more likely he or she has been exposed and therfore "protected". 4) is it ever safe to have unprotected sex with someone who has genital HSV1? 5) How obligated am i to tell him or any future partners? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. BB.
have you had blood testing done yet? if not you need to get it done. you really can't ascertain type just based on the number of ob's and since your partner was hsv2+, you need to get the igg blood testing done.

grace
Hello grace. I just got my igg blood test results yesterday and it came back nevative for hsv 2 and positive for hsv 1.  I just recently got a recurrence and I was wondering if stress/anxiety could be the cause. Also about 4 days before bumps/sores appeared I had discomfort, burning, itching, and redness in my vaginal area (no tingling). I thought (and still do) think that was maybe irritation or a mild infection. Is there a chance this triggered my outbreak? U said in another post (http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/Genital-Herpes-stress-frequency-of-outbreaks/show/1054646) that in females, bv can trigger outbreaks. What does bv stand for? Thank u in advance.
bv is bacterial vaginosis. http://www.ashastd.org/learn/learn_vag_trich_bv.cfm

how were you originally diagnosed as having genital herpes?

grace
I was originally diagnosed by visual exam during my initial outbreak in 2006. I got an igg blood test and my results came in yesterday showing the cause is type 1 not 2.
visual exam isn't always accurate. at this point I recommend being seen the next time you have symptoms for a lesion culture and typing just to confirm that indeed this is hsv1 genitally going on. try to get this done within 48 hours of symptoms occurring and don't start antivirals until after the culture is done.

I know not fast and easy answers but whoever diagnosed you with visual only did you a disservice :(

grace

Sorry I keep coming back.... But doesn't my blood test mean that it's caused by my hsv 1. I was negative for hsv 2. And the last time I had uprotected sex with my hsv 2+ ex partner was about 5 months ago.So If I would have contracted it from him it would have showed up by now in my blood test, am I right?.  Does this mean my blood test is not accurate? I have never had oral symptoms. Only genital, and they follow the typical signs of genital hsv 1 infection. (initial on with Flu-like symptoms, 12 days after exposure, etc.)
a visual diagnosis is wrong 1/3 of the time which is why it's best to err on the side of caution with a lesion culture just to be sure.

Yes if you had contracted hsv2 from your last partner it's likely it would've shown up on the blood testing you had done.  At this point it's just making sure that what is going on genitally is indeed herpes and hsv1.

grace
Oh. I see what u mean now. Well thank u so much for your help and patience with me. Have a great day.