Herpes Community
A little help

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

A little help

About 6 days ago I had unprotected sex with a girl. The next morning I woke up with pains in stomach which in the following days led to diarrhea  For the past three days I have been experiencing a burning/itchy sensation all over my penis a little in my groin and just today around my anus... the severity of the burning and itching fluxuates throughout the day... My penis is not red there are no sores or discharge and only a little discomfort after I urinate not during. Could this be Herpes???

I had a blood and urine test today to check for STD's however will not get the results till next week.. I'm a worrier at the best of times and I've basically spent my whole day scaring myself reading forums about herpes....

Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated.
it's probably a fungal infection but see your provider for a proper diagnosis.
This doesn't sound like a herpes issue. The symptoms you describe would have presented along with visible sores -- on their own, they are not symptoms of herpes.
Thanks for the reply. I have woken up today with the same symptoms. Still no discharge no bumps or redness and just a little burn after I urinate. I think I may just have a UTI and gastro... The internet is very deceiving though.... When you search google for a burning urethra or any sort of burning or itching it points you straight to herpes, gonorrhea and chlamydia... It's way to easy to get yourself worked up..

Again thanks for quick response this is a great website.
Quick question. A little gross but I have this full feeling around my anus it's hard to explain... It feels tight even when not touching it. My anus region is red but there does not appear to be any sores or lesions on the outside. I did have chronic diarrhea so a lot of wiping took place. I have never had anal penetration but could it be possible that a soar or lesion could be inside the anus?
chlamydia, gonorrhea, trich and ngu can be tested for after 6 days. it was too early for any other std testing.

odds are your anus is irritated from the diarrhea you had.

grace
Grace when you say it was to early to be tested for anything else are you suggesting I should wait longer before I get the test? I understand that HIV can take as long as six months, but hypothetically if what I have is actually genital herpes wont the results come back as positive?

As for an update I think things may have taken a turn for the worse unfortunately... I now have a rash from my buttocks running through both sides of my groin into my pelvic region.. the itchy burning sensation is back.. along with a swollen throat I cant find any soars at the moment though.

Do you think this still could be something else? this is now day 8 with the burning sensation and the rash only appeared today.
6 weeks for syphilis testing. 3 months for herpes, hiv and hepatitis testing.

this doesn't sound at all std related. really, don't be your worst enemy and panic like this!!
Ok will do. I'm of the computer and the internet. it's my worst enemy at the moment! Thanks for at least answering my annoying questions. I really do appreciate it.
Hello Grace

I'm guessing you have heard you fair share of stories.. So I was hoping I could tell you where I'm at and hope that you may have heard a similar story.

While waiting for my test results to come back from my local GP I found out that we have a STD clinic in my local town so I went for a checkup. The doctor at the STD clinic looked at my penis and scrotum and says it looks like chlamydia and gave me 1 does of Zithromax (she didn't take a urine test as my other doctor was waiting for the results) The zythromax seemed to relieve my symptoms slightly... however a few days later my urine and blood test came back negative for everything. My local GP said it was probably fungal (even though he never even looked at it) and told me to put canistan on it. I did that for about a week and then out of nowhere my testicles started to hurt and I had a pain in my left armpit. My armpit didn't appear to swollen however it was tender to touch... I went to another doctor at the same clinic and he said that I should have an ultrasound to see if anything is wrong with my testicles... It all came back fine.. The doctor told me to stop putting the canistan on it and to just leave it be. I was so over the whole process I just thought stuff it i'll give it a try.. 4 days later and nothing has improved... Actually it's gotten worse as now my abdomen hurts a little when I pee....

My symptoms at the moment are

-My penis is red and irritated (no lumps or bumps)
-My urethra is red and irritated a little burn while urinating nothing to painful though.
- Every now and then the pain in my armpit comes back
-My testicles throb and are soar to touch
-Pain in abdomen while urinating.
-The skin on my penis looks rubbery and the skin between my circumcision scar and the head of penis is wrinkly (it's hard to explain this last point.
- urine has been yellow and I've been consuming about 2 litres a day.

The symptoms have been better some days than others but have been there for about 28 days now.

Like I said at the start I'm only asking because I think you would have come across a lot of people with similar stories.

I'm going to another doctor tomorrow and I'm going to ask for another urine test just to double check.

anything you can offer in the way of advice would be much appreciated.
going to be seen again is the best thing to do. make sure they do testing of the urine, not just throw antibiotics at you. also make sure that they examine your prostate manually too.
Doctor yesterday was great! he seems to think that it may be Chlamydia based on my symptoms so he took another urine test. On my last urine test I didn't catch the first lot of urine which apparently is the most important part... Apparently your also not supposed to take a urine test within 4 hours of your last urination.. I wasn't told that the first time so I drank atleast 10 cups of water because I urinated about an hour before the doctor.

I'm kind of hoping it is Chlamydia just so I can move on and rid of it. Doctor said if the test comes back negative they will do a full prostate check.

He gave me 1000mg Zythromax and 500mg of ciprofloxacin. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Thanks for the reply again Grace much appreciated.
Test results came back today and it's not an STD based on a urine test.... I'm slowly loosing my patience and my mind!!! Quick question is there any chance I could have Herpes in my urethra? and if so would it be possible to have symptoms for over a month?

If you have symptoms of herpes and had a blood test should it show positive? or is it possible to have an outbreak and test negative?
you were already treated with azithromax so of course your chlamydia test would come back negative - that base was already covered!!

I've had herpes in my urethra and your symptoms sound nothing like it. It's the proverbial peeing on the 3rd rail type pain.  you also tend to have obvious lesions too with it, not just symptoms of urethritis,

they keep throwing antibiotics at you needlessly :(
I basically begged the doctor to send me to uroligist today... He said he wanted me to take 10 days worth of cipro. 1 tablet twice a day. He said it is not uncommon for some types of bacteria to not show in a urine sample.  He said if the symptoms persist after the 10 day course he will send to a urologist.

being the fact that it has been over 30 days with no obvious lesions or bumps i'm pretty confident it's not herpes... I will deffinately check at the 3 month mark to cover my bases though. All i'm really concerned about now is the fact that my testicles have been soar for more than two weeks and the possibility of this becoming a fertility issue.

Unfortunately in Australia we can not see a specialist without a referral from a GP so i'll religiously take the doxy and hope that it clears up and if not get my referral for a uroligist.

Grace thanks so much for answering my questions. I've just moved to a capital city with a new job and no friends. Just having a forum to discuss my situation on is pretty much keeping me sane at the moment.  

hope you get relief and answers soon :)  stop back and update your post when you do for others too :)
So a quick update.. In my previous post I said I was given 10 days worth of cipro it was actually doxycycline... I was two take two tablets twice a day for 10 days. I lasted 2 and half days as the Doxy was giving me massive headaches, loss of appetite and nausea. I went straight back to the doctor Monday and he said the symptoms were most likely an effect of the Doxy and I did the right thing by not taking them... I requested another blood test to check for everything to see where I'm currently at.

The doctor told me to take 3 days off all medication and then he will be putting me on Zythromax for 3 weeks one tablet per week... He is still not sending me to a urologist.

I get the blood results back tomorrow for a HIV, herpies (herpes) & syphillis (syphilis) test.

I no longer have any pain while urinating however I can still feel that my urethra is irritated. If I look down my urethra I can also see that it is still red and irritated. I still have the on and off burning, itching sensation all over my penis, pelvis, scrotum and anus. I also still get the on and off pain in my armpit and I've had a headache for about a week now (which i'm putting down to stress).

Still loosing my mind but I will push through. I would never wish this on anybody.

6 week blood test results are in.

HIV: Negative
Syphilis: Negative
Herpes 1: Positive - Which I already knew
Herpes 2: Negative
Hep: Negative
time for the urologist!
I'm working on it grace :)
After a lengthy discussion with my GP I finally got my referral and an appointment for the urologist next Thursday!

I still have the burning prickling sensation all over my genitals, Perineum & anus. My penis is really red and soar to touch and my poor testicles are still painful... My urethra is still irritated however there is no pain while urinating during or after.

Someone mentioned that it could be prostatitis as I have had the same symptoms for just over 6 weeks now.... However if it does turn out to be genital herpes I just want to know now.... Get on some meds clear up the the burning pain and move on with my life.

I've been avoiding all mirrors or the urge to go all inspector gadget on my genitals... Actually it's been so long now that my anxiety is almost. I have to travel to Hong Kong for work for 6 weeks on the 6th July which will put me at the 10 and Half weeks post... I'm probably going to get tested the day before I leave for peace of mind while travelling. Being that I would be a week and a bit short on the the 12 weeks, would that still be a pretty accurate result?
I was trying to say it's been so long now that my anxiety has passed and replaced with frustration at not knowing what the problem is.
inspector gadget....lmao

are you still using a topical antifungal cream too?  if not, I'd go with the antifungal powder you can buy otc. use it twice a day until seen.
HAHA I thought you might like that one :)

I stopped using the anti-fungal cream it didn't seem to offer much relief... I will definitely go to the chemist and get some anti-fungal powder though. I didn't even know the stuff existed! it sounds like a much better solution than rubbing cream into my already over sensitive genitalia.

I'm really hoping it's just some super bacteria thats messing me up. Lets just cross our fingers, toes, arms, legs and eyes and hope this urologist knows his stuff.

Thanks for hot tip on the anti-fungal cream Grace. I'd be willing to just about rub anything on there at moment if it stopped the irritation.

Specialist said it's acute prostatitis and put me on 2 Weeks Cipro and 1 week Doxy. Hopefully this clears it up.
glad you are getting answers. of course the cipro will just make a fungal issue worse too :(  keep that powder handy!!!
I've been smashing the anti-fungal powder on. It's like a white Christmas in my underwear at the moment! Hopefully the new drug cocktail along with the powder does the trick.

I've noticed a bit of improvement so I' happy.

just a dusting twice a day is fine - no need for a winter blizzard of powder ;)
Update time! Went to my urologist again today and it looks like my urethra is no longer irritated and the throbbing in my testicles is almost gone. My genitals and groin are still red in some areas and I still have the all day itchy burning sensation. The urologist has put me on a 1 month dose of Cipro and Doxy as he believes the red burning genitals is caused from my prostatitis condition... He doesn't believe it's a dermatology issue but I really don't want to go another month on meds to have no improvement and then be referred to a dermatologist to fix in 3 days with some witch doctor ointment!!  

I know it probably sounds like I'm whinging but I really just want my healthy groin back! Grace i'm sitting at 10 weeks today, if I were to get a full STD check HSV, HIV the works at 10.5 - 11 weeks post could I call that conclusive. I'm going to be heading away for work for 6 weeks and I really don't want to have to run through my whole medical history with another doctor in another state just to get tested. I also don't want to wait another 6 weeks with the lingering question of do I or don't I... I know yourself and Doctor H both said it doesn't sound like herpes and i'm almost certain it's not either. BUUUUTTT I would like to check for peace of mind :)
yeah that's fine to just get the testing done before you leave so you can move forward more.

unfortunately throwing more antibiotics at you will just make a fungal issue worse too :(    was your prostate still enlarged when he checked it?  
Both times I have seen the urologist he said my prostate felt fine but due to the irritated urethra, throbbing testicles and irritated skin on my penis and scrotum he believed it was prostatitus... It just makes me wonder if all the doctor's keep feeding me antibiotics because I had unprotected sex and are all completely overlooking the fact that this could be a case of a really persistent fungal infection being prolonged due to the antibiotics... Then again I'm not doctor! I'm really at a crossroad on this one.
sounds like a lot of throwing stuff at you to hope that something works :(  
My doctor said he honestly didn't think it was worth testing me for HSV again as my 6 week results were negative and I have not had any lesions/bumps. He did however test me for everything else which came back negative. Based on what DR H, yourself and my own GP have said I will not be doing any further testing for HSV. I have decided to continue my course of drugs for the next month and see how that goes. I'll come back and update to hopefully let you know i'm cured!

Thanks for the constant support Grace! I'm not sure if you work full-time or have a family but to be able to respond as quickly as you do is pretty amazing. Most of the time I was getting responses quicker from you than my GP... That's something to be proud of.
work full time and have a family but I am on a staycation this week :)  Am done with the painting that needed to be done and am sitting around eating bon bons and relaxing like vacation is for :)  now if only there'd be less rain so I could work on my skin cancer I mean tan...  now if only I could get all of you to come help me weed my garden, I'd really get some relaxation time....he he he
That would be quite the expensive weeding trip for me haha!! I hope you enjoyed the rest of your relaxation time.

Thought I would come back and update on my status... Urologist had me on Cipro and Doxy for one month... The irritation on the skin of my penis did not get any better. Went back to the doctor today and he has given me a steroid cream to put on the irritation... I still get throbbing in my testicles from time to time but far less frequent than 4 months ago when this all started.

Steroid cream is for two weeks. I'm certain that whatever I have is not an STD however my symptoms all point to one. So if anyone else is going through the same sort of thing I hope they see this thread.

At the moment the Urologist and doctor think that I had prostatitus and a Fungal infection at the same time. Making it difficult to treat one without making the other worse.... Lucky me!!

The doctor refers to me as his challenging patient.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers