Herpes Community
Abnormal HSV symptoms or nothing to worry about?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Several months ago a girl preformed oral sex on me twice (just oral, nothing else). About 8 weeks later I was going to use the bathroom and I noticed a BB sized red, raised bump with an opaque white center (it more or less looked like a pimple and had it been on my face I wouldn't have given in a second thought) About a centimeter away was another much tinier red dot which looked like it was considerably below my skin. I hadn't had any pain, itching, muscle soreness etc and this bump didn't hurt at all, not even to touch. But I was still pretty freaked out so I went to a clinic where the doctor diagnosed it as a "Sub-dermal cyst" and gave me antibiotic ointment for it. I'm in a 3rd world country doing humanitarian work so this is the best care I could get at the time and blood testing is still not an option. The antibacterial ointment seemed to work within a day; the smaller dot dissipated within 36 hours without ever growing and the larger one started to go down and the red bump started to turn pink. Here's the part that has me a little worried; once the bump had gone down the white center had a little red prick in the center (almost like a little bit of blood trapped under the skin) which slowly expanded until the white center was all red. I wouldn't describe it as "scabbing over" since the skin never broke or oozed (which is a characteristic of herpes right???). Anyway, it eventually dissipated too but 8 weeks later I still have a noticeable scar there even though I was careful not to scratch/rub it. Prior to this it had been 8 months since my last partner.
I've read a lot on the internet about extremely mild atypical symptoms. Would what I described be considered mild atypical HSV symptoms?
this doesn't sound like herpes going on.

have you ever been tested for herpes before to know your status?

typically hsv1 is what is transmitted during oral sex. it tends to present with very obvious and painful symptoms within a few days after receiving oral sex. really no reason to think hsv1 genitally from the oral sex encounter in question.

oral sex is not safe sex. you should always be having protected sexual contact!

grace
It typically takes 2-20 days for symptoms to appear. Some people get in within the first few days, while most get symptoms before the two week mark. This would be extremely, extremely, unlikely to be herpes because your symptoms showed up after 8 weeks, which is extremely rare. The only thing this could be is a recurrence, but it seems not to be due to the cyst diagnosis. I would suggest seeking another opinion because this sounds a lot more like molluscum contagionism than a sebacious cyst.  

If you already have HSV-1 orally then you are immune from getting it in another location, and since the only risk here would be oral HSV-1 (very, very unlikely she has HSV-2) you are protected.
Thanks for the replies everyone. So would you say that the articles on the web that state  80% or so of people don't know they have HSV because the symptoms are so mild/atypical is complete rubbish?  Are these people that experience symptoms but just refuse to accept they might have it, or can symptoms really be that unnoticeable?
that info applies to oral hsv1 and genital hsv2 more so than genital hsv1 which is the risk from oral sex.
OK, thanks again for the responses. One last question....Would it be beyond rare for these to be abnormal symptoms from an HSV infection resulting from my (protected) sexual encounter 8 months prior to my unexplained bump? I did a pretty good job checking myself for any symptoms of an STD for about 20 days or so after that night and noticed absolutely nothing. I've read that if you're going to get symptoms they'll pop up within 2-20 days after exposure. Is this more or less universal true?
no reason to think you contracted hsv1 from the oral sex encounter in question.
I still can't seem to shake the feeling that I caught something form her and it will be a few more weeks before I can get tested. I've read that HSV2 really does not like the mouth. Is this because the vast majority of people already have HSV1 antibodies in the mouth or because of the physical habitat it offers is unsaportive of the virus ? In other words, how likely would it be fore someone who does not have any HSV1 antibodies to get HSV2 from giving oral and thus pass it on to someone else, i.e. me? Just kind of running all scenarios through my mind here....