Herpes Community
Accuracy of Cervical Biopsy in diagnosing Herpes

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I was wondering how accurate a cervical biopsy is in diagnosing stds such as herpes.  I know there are several different tests available for herpes out there, but that some require the presence of legions.  Does a cervical biopsy, such as the one my girlfriend recently have performed, require a breakout to accurately diagnose stds such as herpes? What are the approximate odds of false negatives with such tests?  Is this as accurate as the blood tests I would be taking as a male?
A cervical biopsy usually is not to check for std's.  I'm assuming she had abnormal lesions on her cervix that the biopsy was done?

If your gf had an active herpes lesion on her cervix at the time then yes testing of it would be a way to diagnose herpes.

since herpes is evidently on your mind - both of you can get type specific herpes igg blood tests for hsv1 and hsv2 to see what your status is if you've never had them.  You don't need to have active symptoms for the blood tests to pick up on infection.

grace