Herpes Community
Acyclovir cream vs ointment

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Acyclovir cream vs ointment

I  was prescribed zovirax acyclovir ointment 5% for a subsequent o/b.On the pamphlet it says it is for initial o/b's in immunocompetent persons as myself.But the pharmacist says it is doesn't matter and that the ointment is better than the cream because it adheres better.Which one is better for subsequent genital herpes o/b......acyclovir cream or ointment?What is the difference between the cream and the ointment?Thanks.
topical acyclovir is ineffective for genital herpes recurrences. it should never be prescribed because it basically wastes your money.  Your provider needs to update their prescribing information and stop prescribing it to their patients.

grace
Thanks for ur comments Grace.But are u syaing that tablets should be prescribed or are u saying there are other topical meds that are more effective.
You should use the pill form as the cream is not as effective.
I usually get prescribed the pills and the cream/ointment.This i was told this helps to hasten the healing.Shouldn't using both oral in conjuction with  topical meds speed up the healing process.Thanks.
I usually get prescribed the pills and the cream/ointment.This i was told helps to hasten the healing.Shouldn't using both oral in conjuction with  topical meds speed up the healing process.Thanks.
just take the pills - that is what is helping you the most.

if you want something to help with pain control, try dermaplast spray ( the blue can, not the red can for the genital area ). It's a spray on anesthetic that you spay on when it hurts to help it hurt less.

shouldn't a topical be prescribed to prevent area from spreading or help transferring virus to a partner?