Herpes Community
Acyclovir v. Valtrex - Suppression Therapy
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Acyclovir v. Valtrex - Suppression Therapy

Is there a difference between Acyclovir and Valtrex?

Wanting to know which is better for the purpose of decreasing chance that partner will become infected, use to decrease amount of asymptomatic shedding.  Keep hearing only Valtrex does this, but someone on site suggested Acyclovir.

Thanks in advance!
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
They work the same. Acyclovir is 400 mg b.i.d. for suppressive effect, Valtrex is one b.i.d.

Can you keep your questions in the same thread? Then we can all remember your story without looking for the older threads. :o)
Blank
Sorry; Valtrex is one q.d. usually 500 mg.
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
Valtrex is an acyclovir prodrug. Greatly simplified - you swallow valtrex and your body converts it into acyclovir inside the body.  You get more active acyclovir available to kick a little herpes butt by doing it this way.  That's why you take valtrex less often.  We don't have studies to confirm that acyclovir reduces transmission the same amount as valtrex does but we assume it does.

http://racoon.com/herpes/v_a_compare.htm  this table comes directly from the valtrex full prescribing info. I've just put it on a page so you don't have to scroll thru all the prescribing info to find it.

Hope that helps :)

grace
Blank
Thank you and will be sure to continue it in the same thread, did not think to do that, my bad. :)
Blank
Thank you and will be sure to continue it in the same thread, did not think to do that, my bad. :)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank