Alcohol vs. Bleach?
I've had hsv2 for about 10 years now w/ relatively few outbreaks per year. Most of my outbreaks actually appear on the back of my legs as groups of small blisters. They are always triggered by anxiety, that I try to control w/ St. johns wort, but generally not painful. I usually run a warm bath with bleach in it and burst the blisters and soak in the bleach water. I have two beautiful neices and am terrified that if I play with them - I'll contaminate them- I know its stupid- but these kind of thoughts cause me anxiety as well. My question is this- would it be better to clean the blister areas with alcohol or continue the bleach baths.
Neither one. It would be better to treat the anxiety with a proven medication, like buspirone. St. John's wort is a bad choice. It's only been proven to work in very mild cases of depression anyway. You need prescription anti-anxiety  medication. And an education about how herpes is spread.
You couldn't pay me enough money to sit in a bleach bath and pop my blisters.

You aren't going to transmit genital herpes to anyone without sexual contact.

I agree that you do need more than St Johns Wort here.

Good luck,
AJ
Is there a  particular reason why you aren't using the herpes antivirals to help speed healing?  Do you have a regular partner and if so what is their status?

I don't recommend popping the blisters on purpose at all. You risk spreading active virus when you do that plus bacterial contamination of the lesions.  with the high rate of MRSA infections out there - you don't want to be doing this anymore.  When you have lesions on non-genital areas - keep them covered until they are scabbed over.

Many of us here like tea tree oil for ob's. You can buy a 2 oz bottle for under $5 at walmart.  Wet a cotton ball, put a few drops of TTO on it and dab it on the lesions several times a day.  It's a little less irritating than bleach and alcohol plus it has anti-inflammatory , antibacterial and antiviral properties to it.  Might be something to try the next time.

grace
Thanks Grace. It's been 3 years since I've had a relationship w/ anybody, but she was actually cool w/it even though she didn't have hsv2. We were together for 3 1/2 yrs and were carefull and she never became infected.
I work swing shifts and It's easy to become a hermit when you start getting a little older.
Anyway, I appreciate the comments. Only talked to two people about this before- My ex and the Doc that bestowed this great news on me 12 yrs ago. Thanks again. hh1974