Herpes Community
Am I in denial?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Am I in denial?

Broke off an old deteriorating relationship officially in November 2011.  In December of 2011 I started dating a childhood friend and by the end of  February 2012 we had sex (protected). On March 30th I went for a pap to the GYN and asked her to be tested for everything including herpes. Turns out I had hpv. My IgG test came back negative 0.90. I was already having unprotected sex with my now boyfriend (Dec 2011 guy). In July after a trip to FL I came back with what I believed to be a yeast or urine infection ( the water is always affecting me down there). I took some meds and surely the infection cleared. I was also experiencing some hardened stool at the time do I got what I believed to be anal fissures. A month later I once again went to FL and came back with what I thought was an infection again yeast this time, before going to Florida I had extremely rough sex and got a little tear in the lining inside my vaginal lips. I treated the infection with monistat and the itching went away; however the monistat was burning very badly. I still had the anal fissures and stool was still hard and still had the small cuts on inside of vaginal lips. The day after I applied the monistat I noticed some bumps in my anal area (never had anal sex) and thats where my worrying began. I originally thought everything was happening because of the rough sex or the FL water which always gives me infections. I made an appointment to the family planning clinic near my area as soon as the doctor saw the bumps she said it was herpes. The bumps were about 4 or 5 were never pus filled and only painful to the touch or when urinating. She took a culture and prescribed Valtrex and Zovirax. I told the doctor I had been applying bacitracin ointment and it was soothing and they were clearing up. I saw the doc a week after the bumps appeared. The day after taking Valtrex the bumps gone, even the small "fissure". I called the doctor a week after the culture and blood test and she said the culture was positive for HSV 2 and my blood was positive for HSV 1 and 2. I always got cold sores as a child so I'm not shocked about the 1.

Sorry for the long story, but here are my questions:

1. Could a culture produce a false positive?

2. If I was tested in March (actual lab tests were ordered April 8) why did I not test positive for HSV 2 then if I was already having unprotected sex?

3. Should I get re-tested? If so, what tests?

4. Could the bumps have been genital warts because of my hpv and just have gotten a false positive for herpes 2?

5. Could the blood tests have mixed up the antibodies and that is why I am testing positive for both 1 and 2? (its a stretch, I know).

***My partner will be getting tested this week!
Thanks for all your efforts to reply. I forgot to say :)
I will gladly help you with your blood test results if you want to post the actual numeric results here - e.g. hsv1 igg 7.9 and hsv2 igg 8.4 or whatever they are.

is it likely that you had a false positive hsv2 lesion culture? no it is not.  

has your partner been tested yet to know their status?

grace