Herpes Community
Anal Fissure

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Anal Fissure

I'm a 28 year old gay. I was diagnosed with HSV 2 last december, since then I stopped having sex. I do not have HIV. I had minor issues with my penis but I have never tried anal sex except few of my partners had put their finger or tongue inside but not the penis. When I was under medication (Acyclovir and paxidep CR 12.5) for herpes I had discomfort in bowel moments due to the latter medicine and I developed fissures and the doctor advised me to use BACTROBAN and it responded. Now, Since last month I have been having troublesome time with anal fissure on the outer side, in or close to the 7'o clock position (right side) with blood in stool and terrible pain. I even had a swelling inside that I could feel when touched. Used Bactroban it was of no help, consulted a GP, he gave me few medicines and a laxative and Xylocaine gel and Oxerute creme for a week and it subsidized. Now after 10 days of the fissure heal i have been having one on the left external side, probably on the 5' o clock position. I'm using Oxerute again now. Could this be due to Herpes? If not why does this occur despite me drinking at least 2 litres of water everyday since a long time!!

sounds far more like a hemorrhoids issue than a herpes issue from your description of things.

bactroban is of no help at all on herpes lesions.

paxidep isn't a  herpes treatment either.

are you still on acyclovir? if so, what dose do you take?

grace
Thanks for your kind reply Grace.
No, I'm not taking Acyclovir now. Paxidep was given to bring down my stress when I was first diagnosed with Herpes. I used Bactroban because the bowel movement was difficult when I took Paxidep, due to constipation I developed fissures and so Bactroban helped me ease my pain and in fact it got healed within a day or two, well, this was like 4 months back. *Period*

I sometimes have a swell on my penis shaft and foreskin gets coiled around the shaft so retraction was quite difficult that was the problem I had with Herpes, no blisters or anything as such. I have no HIV, so!!

This time the fissure is on the external side towards left, to be precise on the 5'O clock position. I have been using Oxerute cream for the last 2-3 days and it has got heeled to a considerable extent. ( A month back when I had similar condition I went to the GP when it got severe and that was when he administered me with tablets Yogut, Metrogyl and Xylocaine, Oxerute and finally laxative Duphaloc 15ml every night)

I'm confused whether this is due to herpes, because I never had any cuts, pain or blood in my penis so far despite me having HSV2.
How were you diagnoised with HSV?  I am just curious because that wasn't discussed.  

The medicine causing problems with you using the bathroom can be causing the hermorhoids.  You may want to talk more with your doctor and they can lesion culture these to see if they are herpes or not.  
Well, they did some blood work on me. HSV 1 and 2 IgG and IgM and it came back positive for HSV2.

I DO NOT have lesions or blisters or whatsoever in my anus except a cut.
Was the IgM or the IgG positive can you get the numeric values of the testing that was done?  

Alot of this needs to be seen by a doctor.  
Now the problem is not with that at all. All I want to know is about this anal thingy
That is going to be something to work with your doctor.  Our forum is about herpes.  I am trying to fingure out what came back positive and the results to see if maybe this was a false positive and you have something else going on.  Regardless if you don't wish to go to that aveune that is fine.  But we can guess all day long what the anal thingy is but really your doctor needs to give you an exam run tests on it and attempt to treat it.  It doesn't sound herpes related but it could be the best thing is to have a lesion culture done to see if it comes back positive as herpes.  Herpes takes different forms and can be just a cut.  Or it could be your anal area is irritated.  
I don't remember the actual count of it, but the doctor told me that it is just a marginal figure.
See if you can get a copy of the results for us to look at or have them give you the numeric values.  It is helpful because some times the tests with igg and HSV-2 may have a false positive.  We like to address that possibility sometimes and telling people to get comfirmatory testing.  It may or may not be the case for you but something that I like to try and see for our posters.
certainly if you were told that your herpes blood test results were only  marginally positive, it's worthwhile to call this week when you have time, get the actual results and post them here for me to look at for you. Even though herpes isn't likely to be the cause of your current anal issues, knowing for sure if you have hsv2 or not is very important for you. Hsv2 infections increases the risk of hiv transmission significantly so knowing your status and that of your partners, is very important.

chronic constipation can be an issue. would be a darn shame if you needed to be put on medication needlessly for stress over a herpes diagnosis and you weren't even properly tested and it caused you all these issues :(  
HSV 2 IgM 1.35, unit: A.I, negative: 1.1
HSV 2 IgG 1.97, unit: A.I, negative: 1.1
(The tests were taken 6 months ago)

I would like to know if HSV turns into HIV even thought I don't have sex with anyone ? As far as my knowledge goes, both are two different viruses. One with HSV could ONLY pick the HIV virus if he/she has had sex with someone who has already acquired the HIV virus, otherwise no.. Am I right ? please clarify this.
HSV does NOT turn into HIV.  What we mean is it will increase your risk to catching HIV from an HIV infected person if you have HSV-2.  

The IgM test was worthless and shouldn't have even been used.  I will let Grace look at your results to help you on the test.  My question is when was the test taken from when you had your last sexual encounter?  

Thank you for working with us on this.  I apologize if I was a little rough at first.  
your blood test needs confirmed with further testing. you can get a herpes WB blood test to see if your + hsv2 igg is a true positive or not. odds are it isn't.
READ CAREFULLY :
1.I got tested for both HSV 1 and 2 IgG and also IgM.
2.The tests were taken in January 2011.
3.My last sexual exposure was on 24th june 2011 after 7 months. My partner and I wore condoms.
4.I had problem in retracting my foreskin and it coils around the shaft just below the penis head.
The very first time (in 2009) when I first got the infection, my penis started to sting and turned red even when I washed it with cold water. But now only the retraction problem. Nothing for the last one month. (*Touch wood*)
5. You said the risk of catching HIV from HIV infected person is more for someone with HSV 2, does it happen only if we had SEX with a person that has HIV????
yes I"m aware of the testing you had done hence my recommendation.

retracting your foreskin issues isn't due to herpes. it's due to infections of the foreskin as well as  a condition called phimosis.

correct, you can only contract hiv if you are having sex with someone who has it. It won't just appear out of nowhere.
okay I will do the tests again. What all tests should I have to do ?
please reread my posts to you  :)