Herpes Community
Angular Cheilitis or oral herpes, not even my doctor knows apparently

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

On Feb 31st I had protected vaginal sex and unprotected oral sex (both giving and receiving). I also swallowed his semen and there was some spit-play involved.

On March 17th I got an iGG blood test done and an HIV test done. Here's where things get odd, I walked into the doctor's office to get the results of my test and she told me "all negative". I told her that I was concerned about HSV-1 because I remember getting an outbreak on the corner of my mouth as a little kid. She said "oh that's oral herpes". Now when I say that I used to get outbreaks I mean like...it would basically look EXACTLY like Angular cheilitis. So now I'm still wondering if I even have HSV-1 to begin with. She shooed me away and told me just to use protection.

1)What are the risks of getting HSV1 and/or 2 from unprotected oral sex if the other person had no visible signs of an outbreak?

2)Does having one type of HSV make it less likely for you to get another? (I.e having hsv-1 and chances of also contracting hsv-2 despite no signs of outbreak and using condoms during vaginal sex)

3)If I do happen to have HSV-1 like my doctor half-claims and have then had since I was a child, none of my previous sexual partners have contracted it so what exactly are my risks of transmitting it to them during unprotected oral sex?

I'm concerned because while he told me that he was negative for STDs, I just recently found out he actually has (and had) a girlfriend at the time that we slept together.
to properly cover your std testing bases from the encounter you had, you could've gotten tested both orally and genitally for chlamydia and gonorrhea after 1 week post encounter. syphilis after 6 weeks. herpes after 3 months.  

they said your testing was all negative - did they tell you the actual herpes testing results to know that you were even properly tested for herpes?

grace
She tested for HSV-1 and HSV-2 via IgG and IgM test for both types at 6.5 weeks since possible exposure. I know because in order to get tested you need to have a form from the doctor stating what you're getting tested for and what tests need to be done to give to the clinic. I do not however have the results form that tells you like ">5" or "<5".  I'm getting the results for Chl, Gon, and Syph today from the family planning doctor (different doctor than the one in the first post). It's been almost 4 months now so my results will be most likely to be conclusive.

To be entirely honest, I am mostly concerned with the risk via genital to genital contact. He had no visible outbreaks and said he was fine & had nothing (but hey if you lied about being single, what else could you lie about) and there was a condom present during all genital-to-genital contact. This was also a one-time encounter, not a repeat thing.

In terms of being fully honest, I recently had to watch a close friend suffer from GHSV2. And I truly do mean suffer because she was in absolute agony during that initial outbreak, coupled in with the guilt I feel over the encounter w/ this guy & the fact that I have anxiety and nothing but time to drive myself crazy.....Like when I convinced myself I absolutely had HIV (all clear).
I just got back from seeing another G.P who showed me my test results that I had taken at 6.5 weeks post exposure. Positive for HSV-1 with an IgG result of >8.0. I'm thinking of transferring to this doctor being my new G.P b/c he was actually really informative.

He told me that having HSV-1 somewhat reduces my risk of contracting HSV-2 & the fact that I used protection and the guy had no lesions/symptoms at the time also greatly helps reduce my risk of contracting it. He said it's more likely that I could have passed HSV-1 to the guy through the unprotected oral sex than vice versa. He also told me that I should take that blood test result at 6,5 weeks post possible exposure to be a good indicator of if I have HSV2 as well or not since most people have antibodies by 4 weeks. Also told me that HSV-1 is much more common than hsv-2. Does this doctor actually know what he's talking about?I really want to switch to him as my general doctor.
hsv1 doesn't reduce your risk of contracting hsv2 significantly at all however it does make it more likely that if you do contract hsv2, you'll have a very mild initial ob.  having hsv1 prior to hsv2 is why so many folks who have it, don't even realize they are infected.  

correct - 1 out of every 2-3 of us under 50 in the US alone has hsv1. it's incredibly common. 1 out of every 4-5 of us has hsv2.

http://www.ashastd.org/std-sti-works/Herpes/oral-herpes.html  has terrific info on common sense precautions to reduce hsv1 transmission to a partner both orally and genitally.

is it really worth retesting for hsv2?  probably not but sometimes the peace of mind is well worth it  so up to you.
I do need the peace of mind to be honest, i'm anxious and paranoid as it is (looking into free therapy because it rly is making my life hell...and has for the last few years) but watching my friend go through her first GH outbreak was terrifying. I've gotten as much as info as I could about the symptoms and I check myself everyday, nothing, not even the slightest twinge or tingle or burning sensation or bump....only thing I get is some itching when my pubic hair starts to grow back after shaving & thats happened to me since I hit puberty so at least a decade.

One more question, since HSV-1 is so common let's say I get drunk and let a guy who might have HSV-1 on his mouth give me head....would my genitals also get infected? I know you can't get infected with something you already have but like different breakout location? I will certainly from now on be using dental dams and latex condoms for oral as well.
not likely you'd contract hsv1 genitally if you already have it orally.  

always keep in mind that herpes isn't the only std out there - protected sexual contact with partners whose std status you aren't aware of for sure is always in your best interest.
Thank you very much for all your help Grace, It's been maddening seeing so many doctors who actually tell me that they think i'm crazy for getting tested (the first one tried to tell me that I absolutely do not, at all have oral herpes...lo and behold, oralherpes) & then also my anxiety driving me crazy as well.

One final question (I promise!) since my oral OBs are so mild that they can get mistaken for angular cheilitis, would you even suggest that I try to take suppressive medicine (valtrex, etc)? The last two doctors I saw wouldn't even hear it, this new one might be different. I would take them simply b/c I would hate to pass anything on to anyone (hell, I feel bad when I give someone the cold or the flu).
we don't have info as to if suppressive therapy is effective for reducing transmission of hsv1 either orally or genitally.  if you aren't being bothered often by cold sores, probably easiest just to treat ob's as you feel them about to start.
Hi Grace,
I got back my test results and at 16 weeks post possible-exposure, the result was an IgG test for hsv-2 & was "<0.2" (before it was 0.73 at 6.5 weeks). Can I pretty much put this issue to rest or since I'm paranoid should I get tested at 6 months/24 weeks to put my mind at ease?

The doctor who gave me my test results was like "you've had nothing at all in terms of pain or discomfort that could be an initial outbreak and you have two negative test results...you don't have anything to worry about" I'm inclined to agree but paranoia & anxiety are killing me here.
congrats! you have your answers now :)  I wouldn't bother with any further testing from this encounter.