Herpes Community
Antibody Count

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Antibody Count

Does have a low count on a + test result mean that you have recently been infected?  What if you just found out and your count is really low (5.27) but your partner just got tested and their count is higher than yours?
I don't think that 5.27 is particularly low on the Herpes Select test.  I think that anything over 3.5 is positive an not much else can be said from the size of the number, but I'm also curious about this and wonder whether anyone else knows anything.  I would guess that the antibody count goes up during an outbreak, but I don't know.
5.27 is not low. That means you have had this infection for awhile now. I would say at least 3 months or more. I would also think that when we get an outbreak that the antibody goes up as well. I know that if its a new infection the antibody will be low.
How can I find out info on a scale rating?  I dont believe it was a Herpes Select test, it was some sort of Glycoprotein test, not an IgG or anything else that I've seen as preferred test.  I've never had an outbreak, signs/symptoms or anything.

Since I found out that my ex was +. I have always gotten a complete STD (to include HIV) and a complete CBC.  But when I recently found out, I requested my old records from my previous drs and I only see one test preformed and it was a culture swab test.  Now, if I dont have any signs/symptoms then of course the culture test will come out -.  Mind you, since visit # 1 the notes show that I told my dr that my then current was +....why would they not test me?  I believe that I ask to be and my ex use to go w/ me for my appts (to include during my annual exam) so she remembers me asking for the tests.  We both wanted to make sure that I was ok....
actually there is absolutely no way to determine how long you've been infected by the numeric values of your results.  You could've had hsv2 for 5 months or 5 years and might never figure it out.

The difference between your result and your partner's results are meaningless. Everyone's bodies react differently to infection. You and I could've been infected by the same person at the same encounter and tested 4 months later and you could've had a hsv2 igg of 3.4 and mine could've been 8.6.  The results have little meaning other than + or -.

keep asking questions as you have them :)

grace