Herpes Community
Anus lesions

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Anus lesions

Hi, I'd like to know if the following following symptoms matches herpes outbreak. I have experienced small itchy lesions appearing around or inside my anus. Only one lesion appears at any one time and last between 5 and 10 days before healing. There is no blister as such - just a small area of exposed flesh. There have been 3 occurences of this. The lesions are only mildly painful. Approx. 2-3 days after a lesion heals another lesion occurs. The lesion becomes less itchy and sensitive after a couple of days.

I have had a PCR swab taken approx 48 hours after first lesion occured to test for herpes. The result was negative. For the current lesion I had a swab taken on the same morning of lesion occuring (I think this is a viral culture test). I have also had a PCR swab taken for this the following day (approx. 24 hours after lesion appeared. I am awaiting results of both.

I have never engaged in anal sex. My unprotected exposure invovled receiving oral (fellatio) around 5 weeks prior to first lesion. I know that waiting for results is the key thing to do, but I'd can anyone let me know whether or not this seems like possible herpes symptoms even if results are negative?

at this point wait for your current test results to come back. if these cultures are negative, odds are it isn't herpes related.

have you been tested for hsv2 with blood testing yet?

grace
Grace, thanks for replying.

No, I've not had a blood test yet. It's not been 3 months since exposure, which I believe is the required duration before a blood test is accurate. However, I've heard of some kind of blood test for which only 3 weeks is required after exposure before testing (I was told this by somebody working at better2know.co.uk which is a private STI testing service). I'm not sure what test this is. Are you aware of any such blood test not requiring the 3 months before accuracy of results is possible?

the igm herpes test is a very flawed test and we never recommend its use. if has far too high of a false positive rate to be of much use.

Thanks. I will avoid that test.