Herpes Expert Forum
Anxiety Riddled

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Anxiety Riddled

Hi Mrs. Warren,

I am a male and approximately 22 months ago I strayed from my fiance and received unproctected oral sex from a girl who I later found out to be promiscuous and involved in drugs.  This happened on 2 occassions a couple of days apart.  Long story long, but over the past 2 years I have experienced dull muscle pain in both of my hamstring/thigh areas, behind my knees, and now recently in my calves.  I have had no noticeable  sores in or around my penis, scrotum, or legs until a couple of days ago, I noticed something on my scrotum.  I picked at it and it bled.  I went to the dr and he took a culture (had me so pick it again so it bled). He didnt think it looked like herpes, but I still have these other symptoms. I have consistantly had large postules? break out on my back and shoulders for as long as I can remember.  Im under a lot of stress lately, but thinking back, I have had the leg pains for a while.  I don't excercise so they arent muscle pulls.

So after reading online about how herpes can cause burning sensations in your legs and lower back, I am of course PANICKED.  So on to my questions:

1.  What are the chances I contracted HSV1 or 2 from my encounter with this girl?

2. Would genital sores have shown up by now?  Would the discomfort i am experiencing in my legs be cuased by either without the presence of sores in the area? how common would those sypmtoms be from receiving oral from someone with HSV?

3.  Are herpes cultures very accurate?  If the culture comes back negative can i be comfortable knowing i dont have herpes? Even in the prescence of these other symptoms?

4.  Would it be possible that if I did contract herpes, it would present itself in the postules that frequesntly re-occur on my back and no where else?  They are always spread out, start red and under the skin. I usually pop them and they and a clear fluid mixed with blood at times.  

Thank you
Sorry, this board is not staffed 24 hours a day.

In answer to your questions:

The risk here would be HSV 1.  Have you ever in your life had a cold sore on your lip or in your nose?  If yes, then you already have HSV 1 and would be highly unlikely to get it in a new place on your body.  If not, then there is a small risk you could acquire it from receiving oral sex.

I am not the least bit concerned about the discomfort in your legs being caused by herpes.  There are so many reasons you might experience leg discomfort.  To decide it might be caused by genital herpes is very much a stretch.  HSV 1 genitally  is a infrequently recurring condition for most people, and doubt that frequently recurring symptoms would be caused by the HSV 1, IF in fact you contracted this.

Herpes cultures are not as sensitive as herpes PCR swab tests, but they certainly can pick up herpes infections from adequately observed lesions.

4.  Would it be possible that if I did contract herpes, it would present itself in the postules that frequesntly re-occur on my back and no where else?  They are always spread out, start red and under the sk

No.  Herpes lesions would present in the area from waist to mid-thigh.  You don't say specifically where on your back you have symptoms, but I'm thinking not lower back.  

Herpes infection in your situation seems unlikely.

Terri
anyone here?
Hi Terri,

Thank you for your response and I apologize for being impatient-just very stressed out that I got something here.  I have never had a cold sore or anything that I can remember.  The issues on my back are typically higher up, recent one is on the back of shoulder.  I did have one thing show up about a month ago on my waist line by my hip. It was dark colored and took a bit to come to a head. I could not pop it when it first showed up.  After a couple of days I popped it.  From what i remember it wasnt clear fluid.  Still have a scar from it.  Any chance that could have been an "outbreak"?

Thanks again for all your thoughts above and your work on this site.  
The lesion you are describing on your back is almost certainly not herpetic, and the thing near your waist also doesn't sound like herpes to me.  

Again, I think herpes in your situation is unlikely.

Terri